[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: NEW JUDGING DILEMMA

  • From: Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: helenfranklin520@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 15:39:06 -0700 (PDT)

One good way would not to hold GSD Specialty and AKC Dog Shows the same
weekends
as well as complete with UKC. Since there are GSD owners that show at both
they will usually pick the show the closest. There is also the case where
many will follow the judge since they know they like their GSD's.  I have
asked
at shows to find owners and handlers tell me that it had a low turnout due to
such
and such show.

Theresa

 On Sun, 6/24/12, Helen Franklin <helenfranklin520@xxxxxxx> wrote:

NEW JUDGING DILEMMA

Some (?) Judges have been accused of judging to fast.
Some Judges gait the few dogs forever when it is notnecessary.
But TODAY, we have an all new and different problem.
You are invited to judge, have flown in at some expense to
the Club and you have a total entry of 8 dogs and 8 bitches.
How do you make this â??a dog show?â??  How do you make it
exciting?  How do you stretchout each class time and not
over-gait the very few dogs?   AKC says2-1/2 minutes
per dog.  Technically,the show â??couldâ?? be over in an hour.
No one wants to drive, bath, prepare, pay, and â??go to a dogshowâ??
that isnâ??t a dog show. Small entries create a whole new
problem.  Holding twoshows on the same day is one good
solution, but Judges also need to plan and re-think a way to
make their â??judgingâ?? fun and realistic to the times as theyare today.
Perhaps after the show, during pictures, the judge mightcritique each
dog as an educational tool plus an addition to the show.
Where did our stud dog and brood bitch class go?

Clubs also need to handle this new dilemma and schedule
the day as well.  Peoplecontinue to do things they enjoy.
Everyone loves raffles during lunch.  Pot lucks are a great
crowd pleaser.  Smallentries now need BIG IDEAS.
Helen Franklin