[ SHOWGSD-L ] NEVER let a dog ride shotgun!

  • From: WLFHRTGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 13:55:04 EST

On Monday I learned just how valuable my seat belt and air bags are......I
fell asleep behind the wheel (in the middle of the afternoon)! After working a
lot of overtime the previous week and hit a parked van.

I don't remember very much but I saw the photos of what's left of my car.

If I hadn't been wearing my seat belt and had working air bags, I probably
would not have survived, let alone walked away with little more than being
pretty sore and bruised.

BOTH airbags deployed when I ran into the parked van, and though I never let
a dog ride "shotgun," this was a horrible reminder that NO ONE should ever let
a dog ride shotgun.  My airbag pushed me back so hard the drivers seat BROKE
- backwards, into the back seat.  The passengers side airbag, having no one to
stop it, SHATTERED THE WINDSHIELD.

I'm sore and achy, but nothing that aspirin won't take care of.

The ONLY reason I'm posting this is to remind everyone that we really take
for granted that when we get behind the wheel, we're going to arrive at our
destination safely.

Please, please, use your seatbelts, have your airbags checked (yeah, I'm
opening the door here, I know ; - )  ) if you have any reason to think they are
not working, and NEVER let a dog ride shotgun.

I was on my way home from work during the bright day when this happened, so
please don't ever take for granted.....well I already said it.  I work thirty
miles from where I live, and, falling in with statistics, yes, I had my crash 2
blocks from home.

I am very lucky, and I realize this is a little off topic, but I'm hoping
it's not too much off topic since I'm sure every one of us has left late at
night
or early in the morning for a show, armed with a thermos of VERY strong
coffee and sugar donuts for that little energy boost we think will combat
fatigue.

Thanks to my seat belt and airbags, I walked away relatively unscathed just a
bit bruised.

Please, take a moment to think about this when you get behind the wheel and
never take anything for granted.

Drive safe,

Kelly Busse
Wolfheart German Shepherds