[ SHOWGSD-L ] NC<> Not too late to protect owning dogs in your state

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@freelists. org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 07:21:59 -0700

Note that many dog registries (AKC, UKC, etc), AVMA, Agribusiness,
NCarolina Fed of Dog Club, NCarolina Sporting Dog Fed are all opposed
to this HSUS authored bill.  Please join their fight, North Carolina
residents!
STormy Hope
GSDCA Legislative Liaison
HSUS Continuing to Attack North Carolina?s Hunting Heritage!

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?IDY38

http://tinyurl.com/2evw67g

HSUS Continuing to Attack North Carolina?s Hunting Heritage!

Friday, June 25, 2010

Thanks to the tremendous response to last week?s alert, the hearing on
Senate Bill 460 did not take place on Thursday, June 24. The
anti-hunting extremists at the Humane Society of the United States
(HSUS) must have realized they were losing support for this legislation,
and agreed to have the bill pulled from the calendar so that they could
redouble their efforts for another push. Time is rapidly running out
for HSUS, and the word we are hearing is that S 460 will be heard in the
House Finance Committee on Wednesday, June 30, at 8:30 AM.

A large coalition of groups that are truly concerned with both dogs and
their owners remains steadfast in opposition to S 460. The coalition
includes The American Kennel Club, the United Kennel Club, the American
Veterinarian Medical Association, the North Carolina Agribusiness
Council, the North Carolina Federation of Dog Clubs, and the North
Carolina Sporting Dogs Association, to name just a few. Also opposed to
S 460 is the National Animal Interest Alliance, a national group that
promotes animal welfare (not ?animal rights?) without promoting an
anti-hunting agenda.

Next week could be the final chance for HSUS to gain a foothold in North
Carolina. Passage of S 460 would be devastating to not just commercial
dog breeders and dog lovers, but those who hunt with dogs or enjoy any
kind of hunting. If HSUS is successful with its apparent goal of
eliminating commercial dog breeders, then hunting with dogs will quickly
become an activity of only the wealthy who can afford dogs that will
become rarer and more expensive. Anyone who cares about our hunting
heritage, even those who do not use dogs in their activities, should be
very concerned about S 460. You can be sure that HSUS does not intend
to stop at just hurting hunters who use dogs. The organization?s
president, Wayne Pacelle, has stated, ?We are going to use the ballot
box and the democratic process to stop all hunting in the United
States
. We will take it species by species until all hunting is
stopped
.? People who simply love their pets, and think HSUS is just
working to help keep pets happy and healthy, may want to consider
another quote attributed to HSUS President Pacelle. When asked if he
envisioned a future with no pets, he replied, ?I wouldn?t say that I
envision that, no. If I had my personal view perhaps that might take
hold. In fact, I don?t want to see another cat or dog born.?

We believe that HSUS is working to amend S 460 in order to strip as much
opposition from it as possible, while maintaining its threat to all
commercial dog breeders and those who hunt with dogs. And while NRA?s
opposition to S 460 is well known within the North Carolina General
Assembly, we have yet to be invited to offer input regarding any
proposed new language. This is a strong indication that HSUS wants to
ensure the language of this bill remains a threat to those who hunt with
dogs.

The North Carolina Federation of Dog Clubs and the North Carolina
Sporting Dogs Association are organizing a Legislative Lobby Day for
Tuesday, June 29, so if you wish to assist by attending, please meet in
front of the North Carolina General Assembly at 16 W. Jones Street, in
Raleigh. You should plan to arrive between 8:30 and 9:00 AM. For
details, please contact Henri McClees, with the NC Sporting Dogs
Association, at (252) 671-1559.

If you cannot attend the Lobby Day, you can still help by contacting
members of the House Finance Committee, and voicing your objections to S
460, or any other attack on responsible commercial dog breeders if
legislators supporting the HSUS agenda work to change the bill number.
Contact for the House Finance Committee can be found here.

Copyright 2010, National Rifle Association of America, Institute for
Legislative Action.
This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial
purposes.
11250 Waples Mill Road, Fairfax, VA 22030 800-392-8683
Contact Us | Privacy & Security Policy