[ SHOWGSD-L ] NASS observations

  • From: Kathy Tank <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 11:06:35 -0800

Hi Guys
We struck out to the NASS yesterday in Pomona.  We had thought about going
today, but as it is Kaitlyn's
birthday, we are quite certain she'd rather not spend it at a dogshow, lol.
Anyway, the weather as par for So Cal this time of year, cool in the morning
and evening, and very comfortable
in short sleeves during the day.  Beautiful.
The show is held on the INFIELD of the track at the Fairgrounds , with MANY
ACRES of room to spare.
Bathrooms were less than 100 ft away.   Grooming area directlly behind.
Covered parking for exhibitors.
Stalls yes lots...this is a racetrack.
The bitework was held in a seperate area of the infield prior to teeth /
testicle checks ...
Everyone had 'Preferred Seating" as it was bring your own chair and sit
anywhere you like...what a concept.

What I also noticed was how many YOUNG PEOPLE attended, helped mom and dad
double or groom or just play with the dogs.
There were more smiles and camaraderie than we are accustomed to seeing at
most specialities and ABs.
To even place is a great joy at this event, for all. People fortunate enough
to place even top ten in a class are roundly congratulated by all.
   I never heard or saw a single person exhibiting poor sportsmanship in
either winning or losing.
There were many nationalities represented there.   Dogs were shown at speeds
that virtually anyone could handle.  They were worked at
moderate and slow speeds, and worked some more.

We attended our first NASS 8 years ago in Del Mar when Hunter was 2 mos old.
  We left there, not very happy with
what we saw in the dogs...overall, not happy at all.   So we held our breath
when we stepped onto the infield for this years NASS...

Boy were we ever pleasantly surprised!!
This year most of the dogs were very nice representatives of the breed.
Backs, croups, depth of body, and topline has improved
dramatically and pretty much across the board.
Fronts were lacking in some, but don't we see that too?
Some of the dogs were STANDOUTS and could be successful in any venue.

I loved the CHARACTER and DIRECTNESS of these dogs.   They are not 'golden
retriever-ish" but bold, confident,
and when you are standing or sitting at ringside and you call one...they
walk up to you, look you in the eye, as
if to introduce themselves...much like a confident person with a firm
handshake. lol.

Breed type.  What can I say .  Almost to a dog, DRIPPING IN BREEDTYPE.
They OOOZE masculinity and femininity.
They have distinct and stunning expression, and as the standard
demands....secondary sex characteristics are PRONOUNCED.
Something we need to pay attention to.
Coats?  Good Lord, beyond plush.   Pigment to die for, as well as feet
pasterns.  Dentition..you haven't seen teeth until you examine
a dog's mouth at this show...LANDSHARK!  lol.

I saw a few that were a bit close , behind, and a couple that were more
shallow through the middle piece than I would like...but also
we were looking at the young dogs.  German dogs tend to mature later than
ours , at 3 or so, rather than earlier...I like this.

We saw a few GSDCA friends there, and thoroughly enjoyed their
company...funny we all "honed in" on the same dogs
with the same "WOW" reaction to them.

Congratulations to the WDA on this event, and to Danny Spreitler (sp) the
Prez.  Well done Sir, Well Done.

Beautiful venue, beautiful weather and gorgeous GSDs...
It doesn't get better than that.

Kathy Tank
http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com
PUP-DATED:  OCT 5, 2009
Home of:

CH. Elvaston's Nations Cup TC, 26 BOBs
CH. Victory's Leviathan
CH. Garter's E-Male of Fran-Jo Anne Isle

"En Victoria , Veritas"