[ SHOWGSD-L ] My trip to Walmart...(subtitle..it could only happen to me)

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 07:49:14 -0700 (PDT)

After sitting home watching the sky cry for, oh, I don't know...YEARS now...I
decided to take a trip to the other side of the Cape and hit the Walmart. Was
hoping to find some "couch cover" size shirts to fit my ever expanding frame,
and since Walmart is stating that they are losing money due to the economy, I
figured I would toss a few bucks their way.
My neighbor figured that a trip to Walmart outweighed washing her hair, so off
we went.
After dropping 50$ on various and sundry items, we exited the store to unload
the plunder with plans on making a detour to Dollar Tree at the end of the
plaza when I was confronted by a young Spanish man asking us if we wanted to
purchase a German Shepherd Puppy. Concerned that he was selling them from the
back of his truck (as has been happening here quite frequently), I questioned
him further as to the pups whereabouts. This young man was quite upset; stating
that he had purchased this puppy 3 months ago and now his landlord had given
him until Wednesday to remove the pup from the property. He was desperate to
find a good home for his pup...he did not want to have to relinquish him to a
shelter. I asked if the dog had AKC papers, hoping to locate the
sire/dam/breeder to help him relocate the puppy. He handed me the paperwork
that was given to him when he purchased this puppy (700$..not expensive
but..comparably priced for BYB pups in our area). The
paperwork was not an AKC registration form, but rather some sort of
informational paper with the name of the sire/dam (no AKC numbers provided) and
a statement that the new owner had 3 days to return the dog. The name of the
"kennel" was at the top of the paper. I explained to him that it was the
breeders responsibility to assist in situations such as this. The young man
asked if I would be so kind as to intercede with the breeder on his behalf, to
which I said certainly...I have done this before with VERY little success (most
refuse to take the puppy back). I did explain to him that the person may not
refund his money, but that he SHOULD be willing to take the pup back and place
him in a new home. LHSH also offered to cover the cost of boarding the puppy
until a Rescue could be located for him, but explained to the owner that he
would NOT be receiving any money for the puppy under those circumstances. The
decision of course, had to be his.
Upon arriving home, I called the "breeder" and asked if he would help by taking
the pup back..and if NOT, could he please provide the AKC paperwork for the
puppy so that Tony could at least recoup some of the money that he had spent by
selling the dog. (I had a feeling that this person was being deceitful in his
sales and wanted to push for the paperwork) I explained that the AKC
registration belongs to the PUPPY not the owner; that if he wanted to check
limited on the registration to avoid someone breeding the dog, that was his
perogative. After a few minutes it was evident that Tony was NOT going to see
the AKC registration for this dog. The seller indicated that Tony needed to
contact HIM to rectify the situation. Needless to say, when Tony called the
conversation went from bad to worse with the seller telling Tony to bring the
dog back and he would give him back his money. Tony returned the pup last
night...the seller dragged the puppy out of the car
by his feet and gave Tony 500$. I contacted the Animal Control officer in
charge of the area last night and was informed that the MSPCA has an ongoing
investigation with regard to this person's care of his animals and there have
been other complaints made as well. Evidently, two litters of puppies were
"stolen" from this person, and my connection within the Police department felt
that they may have been used for bait for fighting rings. The perpetrators were
apprehended, but the puppies were never reclaimed. The seller is selling
puppies at 7 weeks, in clear violation of Massachusetts State laws. So...today
I call the MSPCA, the town where the seller resides to ask if there has been a
kennel check, the family that HAD the puppy (they were hysterical last night..I
wouldn't have left the dog there, but..)the AKC to ask about the legalities
concerning the registrations and perhaps even the local newspaper.
All of this to say....everything happens for a reason. To think that I had to
go to Walmart on THAT PARTICULAR DAY, and exit the store at THAT PARTICULAR
TIME...to run into this person (and I was NOT wearing my LHSH
sweatshirt)...SOMEONE up there had a Guiding Hand in this encounter.
You never know when you will find YOURSELF in a position to stand up and make a
difference.

Dawn Restuccia