[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: My questions & take on the Ameteur Fut/Mat & Handlers.....

  • From: Becky McElroy <zarniwoop1973@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:12:02 -0700 (PDT)

I will try very hard not to capitalize every twelfth
word.  I firmly believe that the definition of
amateur, as in the dictionary as well as defined by
the rules for the Amateur Fut/Mat, is a person who
does not take payment for an activity.

I've never been paid for handling.  If I went out and
had an amazing time, ie, the stars aligned properly,
and you (the generic "you") mistook me for a pro
handler, well, first I'd have to laugh, but you'd just
be wrong.  In ten years, when my handling skills are
better, if I do not take payment for showing dogs, I
would *still* be an amateur.  Yes, I would indeed be
forever an amateur, no matter how many groups, bests,
or champions I handled.

It's not about skill, or lack of it.  Really.  I felt
that Lee explained it pretty well.

Amateur does not equal novice or beginner.

Becky McElroy
Calhan, CO

http://mail.yahoo.com