[ SHOWGSD-L ] My memories of Marge Dolan

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:05:47 -0500

I was very sad to hear the news about an old friend and well known
breeder passing away last night.  I had just called Marge last week.
She came to my mind as she had in the past and I kept saying I need to
give her a call.  Well last week, I picked up the phone and dialed her
number.  Her son answered.  He told me his mother was in bed.  It was
about 6:30 pm.  He told me she was suffering from cancer which I knew
about already and she normally was in bed by 6.  I told him I would try
to get back to her again.  Everytime thereafter, she came to my mind, it
was already after 6 so I didn't want to disturb her.  I never got to say
hello to you again my friend and now I find myself having to say good bye.

Marge definitely helped shape the beginning of my introduction to the
breed.  I was able to breed my very first litter of GSD's because of
her.  She leased me one of her Reno daughters who I bred to Ch.
Doppelt-Tay's Steel Curtain.  We continued our friendship through our
association in the GSDC of Greater New Haven.  We sat on the board
together.  Many, many times myself and Nancy Vaught would go up to
Marge's house to help her evaluate a litter or two.  "When are you girls
coming up?" she used to ask us.  We'd have a little lunch with her and
outside we'd go running puppies up and down her driveway and taking a
picture of some of them.  Then she'd come to our house when we had
puppies and we'd have lunch waiting for her there as well.

I'll never forget the time she pulled me over to the side at the
Delaware Valley show and said she needed to talk to me privately.  I
laugh thinking about it now, because she always had some "secret" she
wanted to share with me.  I said to her, "Okay Marge, what's this big
secret you need to talk to me about?"  She wanted me to run for the
Presidency of the Greater New Haven club.  I told her Marge, I never
even thought about that.  "Oh no Barbara, she told me, you're what the
club needs."  We need someone to lead this club again."  All day long
she was at me about this.  She had a hard time taking the answer No.  LOL!

Marge's love of her life besides her wonderful children was her beloved
dogs.  She bred many champions and Selects and ROM's and was dedicated
to her animals.  She had a very tough life and suffered long and hard,
but she was always a fighter.

Thank you Marge for helping me when I first started out.  You suffered
in silence for so long, so rest now my dear friend.  The fight is over.
For although, my tears fall as I write this, not another tear of yours
shall ever be shed.  Your crying days are over dear Marge.  Nothing of
this earth can ever hurt you again.  Heaven just opened her doors to
you.  God bless you.  Barbara Galasso