[ SHOWGSD-L ] My final answer .......... for now

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 10:10:53 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 9/28/12 6:55:14 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx writes:

***  Depends on why they are unsound, if they could pass it on or not.   If
it is an inherited
unsoundness they should never  place.

This subject has perplexed me for a few weeks now.  Let's be honest,  it is
because one of the top winning dogs is rumored to be sterile. It has
tested our perception of what is a dog show, and what is the purpose?  It  has
generated some great opinions and different perspectives.

I have seen both sides of this, and as a judge, listening to Jack and Mort,
 realize that we only judge from inside the ring.  What then could be the
purpose of showing a dog that is sterile?

I first thought it made no sense at all. Then as I thought about it, I
realized that we are seeing from outside the ring, what a dog can be that
matches the standard. The general public is being shown what a German shepherd
should be, and overall, this is a great value to the breed.

What we seem to miss is we are mixing the three elements.  Judging,
breeding, exhibiting.

I do not agree that the judge should try to affect the breeding in the
future. I know some judges have put up some things, to show what we should be
doing. I think that is wrong.  it is not their job, and is a chore that
they should not even consider. They should only judge what is in the ring, in
front of them on that day.

Then we seem to combine breeding and exhibiting.  That is also  wrong.
When we exhibit, we are trying to come as close to a perfect dog,  one that
meets the standard, as we can.  We show that dog in the ring. It  is again, not
the job of the exhibitor to control the breeding in the years  ahead.

Now you come to the crux of the question. Who protects the breed, who
affect the future of our animals, who is responsible for the future generations

of German shepherds?  It is the breeder, and should be only the  breeder.

The breeder who looks to the exhibitor or the judge to tell him or her what
 to do, is not doing the right thing. The job of the judge and the job of
the  exhibitor is not to plan or influence the breeding. It is up to the
breeder.  When we call someone a breeder/exhibitor we do a  disservice.  It is
two different roles.

I have come to the conclusion that the judge has a specific duty to select
the dog presented to him on that day, with no consideration of anything
other  than our standard. The exhibitor has no other job than to show the best
animal  he can, to the best of his ability.

It is the breeder who will protect out breed. It the GSDCA who will set the
 standard.  The obligations should not be mixed.

Evan L. Ginsburg
gsyrfund.com
Asgard German  Shepherds
_http://www.asgardgsd.com_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
Where Type  Movement and Temperament come  together