[ SHOWGSD-L ] My experience with seizures

  • From: Linda <stjamesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 14:51:34 -0400

When my GSD boy was close to 9 years old he had his first seizure.  He was
being teased by a neighbor dog who would escape and stand across the lake and
taunt him.  One day he climbed the fence and went through some really nasty
water to get to her.  My next door neighbor brought him home and I immediately
gave him a good bath.  The next day he had his first seizure.  He went to my
regular vet and then spent the night at the emergency clinic.  A month later he
had another seizure.  At that point I realized that he had them right after
being dosed with ivermectin so we tried another heartworm medicine for him.  No
change in the seizures.  He was put on phenobarbital.  What is interesting is
that his littermate in Florida had a seizure at about the same time.  His owner
put him on natural remedies and he never had any more.  I tried the same on
Chance but to no avail.

They just termed it as idiopathic epilepsy.  After a while the meds were not
working well for him so they put him on something else.  I was lucky that my
vet checked around and found that the cheapest place to get the drug was
Costco.  The name (and I believe it is generic) is Levetiracetam.  This drug
helped him but there would still be breakthrough seizures.  He would be so
confused and upset over them.  As time went on he got weaker in his rear end.
My dogs have all been strong in that area.  Chance had very muscular rear legs.
 He stayed on the two drugs until he was about 10 1/2 and as his body was
getting weaker I decided it was time to let him go.  He was constantly
stumbling when he walked.

Believe me when I say it was a year and a half of "hell".  I was on edge all
the time just waiting for the next seizure.  When he would start having one my
Tibetan Spaniels would start on a special scream that alerted me to come to
him.  I never got decent sleep at night.  If he had a really bad one I had
valium to give him after.

I truly believe that it was caused by that nasty water he was in.  He may have
ingested some of it also.  After that I started calling animal control every
time I saw that dog across the lake.  The owners were not doing anything to
keep her confined in their yard.  Fortunately for me and Chance they had to
move shortly after.

And that is my story of dealing with seizures.

Linda Hendrix
Goose Creek, SC

http://showgsd.org/mail.html