[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: My Take

  • From: "William Gish" <gsd001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Margery Golant" <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 10:57:30 -0400

Margery - Thank you very much for a succinct, absolutely correct
description of the Editor infatuation.  Hopefully, many will read it, think
about it, and take it to heart.  Also, hopefully it will diminish the
vitriol in the discussion which is taking place on the web.  As you wrote,
every member is entitled to an opinion -  even though it may be wrong,
 but each has the responsibility to assure it is an educated opinion -
educated by a knowledge of the facts of the case.

Bill Gish, gsd001

Personally, while I don't know Susan, I am very grateful to her for the
time and effort she put into working with Gail since the beginning of the
year, and extend to her my thanks and best wishes.  I do know Lee Smith
(the selection committee chair) very well, and know her to be an extremely
intelligent and extremely honorable person. I would very much hate to see
this discussion focus on people in any way.

>      - What should be done regarding the Review Editor issue is what the
majority of the members feel should be done, so long as it is done in
compliance with the by-laws and rules of the GSDCA.  Period.

>      -While we all agree it is important that the GSDCA be run in a
business-like way, it is NOT a business, it is a club, governed by rules,
and subject to the will of the membership.  Businesses are not clubs, they
are dictatorships - they are run by a control group, with the object being
the best possible bottom line - no one on the inside has any rights or
ability to control events.  What the rest of the company things of company
processes and policies is not important - they are free to stay or to leave
if they don't like it.  Employees are necessitities to get the work of the
company done, they have no rights other than what the company allows them
in the performance of their jobs, so long as that is not against the law.

> What I said at the Board meeting, and what I have said here, is that it
is critical that the Board know what the will of the membership is
regarding the Review Editor position, the regulations, restrictions or lack
of restrictions pertinent to the Editor position.  What was being proposed
was a change to our rules, and we were not in a position at that time to
consider whether it was advisable or not, or appropriate or not, that day,
without any prior discussion, any opportunity for reflection or input from
the membership.  That is why I asked to hear from GSDCA members regarding
their feelings.  I have heard from a quite a few members, and while there
are mixed opinions of what is important and what is not, whether the rules
should be changed or not, everyone wants to be assured that there was a
level playing field in the process, that the widest possible net was cast
to encourage all the most qualified people to apply, and that all
applicants and potential applicants knew t
>  he rules ahead of time.  The people asking the questions are not
hostile, not insulting, not troublemakers - there are no inmates, no
prisons, no asylums.  What there are are members of the GSDCA who care
about their club, want to feel comfortable about how this step is taken,
and how the foundation was laid, so that they can then support the outcome.
We complain when there is apathy, when members don't get involved.  This is
the opposite - people care, people want to understand.  And, since this is
NOT a business, but a club that belongs to all of us, it is completely
appropriate that they know, that they understand, and that they agree.  How
decisions are made is as important, sometimes even more important, than
what the decisions are.