[ SHOWGSD-L ] My Take

  • From: Margery Golant <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 15:38:30 -0400

Some observations:

     - I don't see where this is in about individuals at all.  Personally,
while I don't know Susan, I am very grateful to her for the time and effort she
put into working with Gail since the beginning of the year, and extend to her
my thanks and best wishes.  I do know Lee Smith (the selection committee chair)
very well, and know her to be an extremely intelligent and extremely honorable
person. I would very much hate to see this discussion focus on people in any
way.

     - What should be done regarding the Review Editor issue is what the
majority of the members feel should be done, so long as it is done in
compliance with the by-laws and rules of the GSDCA.  Period.

     -While we all agree it is important that the GSDCA be run in a
business-like way, it is NOT a business, it is a club, governed by rules, and
subject to the will of the membership.  Businesses are not clubs, they are
dictatorships - they are run by a control group, with the object being the best
possible bottom line - no one on the inside has any rights or ability to
control events.  What the rest of the company things of company processes and
policies is not important - they are free to stay or to leave if they don't
like it.  Employees are necessitities to get the work of the company done, they
have no rights other than what the company allows them in the performance of
their jobs, so long as that is not against the law.

What I said at the Board meeting, and what I have said here, is that it is
critical that the Board know what the will of the membership is regarding the
Review Editor position, the regulations, restrictions or lack of restrictions
pertinent to the Editor position.  What was being proposed was a change to our
rules, and we were not in a position at that time to consider whether it was
advisable or not, or appropriate or not, that day, without any prior
discussion, any opportunity for reflection or input from the membership.  That
is why I asked to hear from GSDCA members regarding their feelings.  I have
heard from a quite a few members, and while there are mixed opinions of what is
important and what is not, whether the rules should be changed or not, everyone
wants to be assured that there was a level playing field in the process, that
the widest possible net was cast to encourage all the most qualified people to
apply, and that all applicants and potential applicants knew t
 he rules ahead of time.  The people asking the questions are not hostile, not
insulting, not troublemakers - there are no inmates, no prisons, no asylums.
What there are are members of the GSDCA who care about their club, want to feel
comfortable about how this step is taken, and how the foundation was laid, so
that they can then support the outcome.   We complain when there is apathy,
when members don't get involved.  This is the opposite - people care, people
want to understand.  And, since this is NOT a business, but a club that belongs
to all of us, it is completely appropriate that they know, that they
understand, and that they agree.  How decisions are made is as important,
sometimes even more important, than what the decisions are.

Margery Golant
GSDCA Member / Recording Secretary