[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: My Mean Dog

  • From: MORGAN LEWIS <shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx, SHOWGSD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 14:19:32 -0800 (PST)

And even though it can be terrifing, it's so exciting to find out that dispite
our stupidity, the dog knows what the hell it is doing. Morgan
David Fritsche <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It is not usual for me to expose my dogs to danger or to allow people
exposure to my dogs without their being on leash. Even though we live in a
rural area with lots of land, I keep them confined unless we are out walking
with them. But I, like many others, occasionally have a lapse of sanity and
this morning was one of those mornings.

We clean a building for a company every Saturday morning early and
occasionally take a dog with us and let them stay in the car while we do the
work. This morning we took our Sureman, Can. Ch. Pimalan's Foolish Pleasure.
Before we arrived at about 5:30 A.M., I stopped behind an strip mall to
allow Sureman to relieve himself on a dirt strip. I let him out of the car
on this snowy morning while it was still dark and he did his business, and
then to my horror, a young lady appeared all bundled up at the front of our
car, moving from somewhere unknown toward the nearby bus stop.

Sureman has, as all of our dogs, been to obedience class as a puppy, and is
a great and obedient dog for the most part, but he is also a protective
German Shepherd, so I froze, thinking of all the recent stories about
similar lapses of owner control. Sureman stopped his walking when he saw
her, sat down, looked over his shoulder at me and waited to see what I did.
I simply said in a soft voice, "it's OK," and he rose and returned to my
side. He did so great! But now, I am going to put myself through remedial
training! Will someone shout at me - "DON'T YOU EVER DO THAT AGAIN!"
Dave

Morgan and His Angels
  Precious, OFA
  Princess, CGC, TDI, GSDCA Health Award