[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: My Mean Dog

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx, SHOWGSD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 16:58:50 -0500

Dave,

DON'T EVER DO THAT AGAIN!

Several years ago, I was in MN with two young GSD's.? We were out for a nice
walk in the snow.? They got to playing and slipped their collars.? It was quiet
with nobody around for miles, or so I thought.? So, I let them play.? As we got
to the end of the forest to a dirt road, a Forest Ranger pulled up and got out
of his truck.? He was all bundled up and I thought my CA dogs would take him
out.? The both had hackles up and were poised to lunge.? They had never seen
anything like that.? I called them and they came to me.? Thank goodness for
obedience training.? Turns out it was the opening of deer hunting season.? The
Ranger accused me of using the dogs to flush out the deer.? Yikes!!!!? It was
bow and arrow season and I didn't have a Bow with me, so he let us go.??After
that, we stayed on my Dad's 80 acres and I let the dogs chase wild turkeys.?
Did you know they can fly?? So, why wasn't that Ranger at a?strip mall having
his coffee?? Geesh!? LOL!

Laura?Thomas

Sureman has, as all of our dogs, been to obedience class as a puppy, and is
a great and obedient dog for the most part, but he is also a protective
German Shepherd, so I froze, thinking of all the recent stories about
similar lapses of owner control. Sureman stopped his walking when he saw
her, sat down, looked over his shoulder at me and waited to see what I did.
I simply said in a soft voice, "it's OK," and he rose and returned to my
side. He did so great! But now, I am going to put myself through remedial
training! Will someone shout at me - "DON'T YOU EVER DO THAT AGAIN!"
Dave

http://o.aolcdn.com/cdn.webmail.aol.com/mailtour/aol/en-us/text.htm?ncid=aolcmp00050000000003