[ SHOWGSD-L ] My Introduction and Mr. Hunte - reaction of other clubs

  • From: "Jessica MacMillan" <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:43:38 -0600

First, before I plunge into this discussion, I want to do a quick
introduction

My name is Jessica MacMillan and I am the owner of two GSD - Acara's Simmie
Orion Free (Simmie, 7 years old and a spoiled pet) and Simcar's Peppermint
BonBon (Pepper - 7 months, hopeful, upcoming *STAR*). Although fairly new to
GSD, I am not new to showdogs. I am a second generation dog person - my
family has bred or owned Dalmatians for almost 40 years and we have bred or
owned over 150 US champions, BIS dogs, Group Winners, Top Ten dogs, OTCh
dogs, MACH dogs, etc. We also have BIS dogs in several other countries and
top producing dogs all around the world... In addition to finishing about 45
or more dals of my own, I have also finished about two dozen sporting dogs
of various breeds including Goldens, Flat Coats, Vizslas and Brittanys. I
have also put several obedience titles on dogs and Simmie is trained for her
TD (I just need to work up the strength to get her certified and a title) I
am a member of DCA and our local dal club, and have worked in several
capacities.

As a person coming from another breed, we have had some behind the scenes
discussions about Mr.Hunte and how our club would have voted. We mostly
decided that until we were put in the position, it would be really hard make
a judgement call. HOWEVER, there was some discussion that GSDCA really needs
to change the by-laws, but that having to contend with the memberhip of
someone like Mr. Hunte would be a test for any club's by-laws. And, even if
their had been sponsor slots on his membership form, those would have been
signed because he got a dog from GSD breeders who I believe are members of
the national club.

The thing that was interesting to me was that the attorney's voted no to let
him in. I guess my opinion would be that this is a private organization and
you can let in who you want and who you don't want.

When we were talking about Mr. Hunte in the beginning the general response
was "Glad he doesn't have dalmatians". Followed by "GSDCA can't allow him to
become a member and what a harm it will be to their breed and their
reputation".

My final words.... If money did play a role in his membership, the board
should be ashamed of themselves (money can't buy love, but it can buy you a
membership to anything, I guess), but if people were voting based on their
minds and hearts, then so be it.

Jessica MacMillan
Paisley Dals (and two GSD)

http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_donation&FORM=WLMTAG