[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Must Be A National Coming Up

  • From: TISHW@xxxxxxx
  • To: Stormy435@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 14:03:27 EDT

In a message dated 10/2/2008 11:19:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Stormy435@xxxxxxx writes:
For  those Board members who haven't been communicative...well, one has the
power of the ballot, and that should be sent in with that in  mind.

OK everybody, please bear in mind that Board members are busy people.   And a
lot of us are busy because we are doing work for YOU!!  I have  visited
Beaumont a couple of times now and it is a great site.  It was  originally
presented to the Board in July 2004.  At that meeting the Board  voted between
3 sites
if I remember correctly and by I think one vote decided to  go to St. Louis
in 2006 but to secure a contract with Beaumont for 2008.   It has a hub airport
in Houston.  It is no farther from Houston to Beaumont  than Atlanta to Perry
- maybe not as far.

Re herding - I think herding presents its own problems in terms of
requirements and frequently the herding is not very close to the National.
However,
the herding instinct test is usually given at the National.    I'm sure Nanci
or Lea will let us know if that is happening this year or  not.  There is space
at the site I believe for the instinct test but  whether the sheep are
available or not I wouldn't know.

The membership was asked a few years ago whether it wanted the national to
be in one location or to rotate and the membership stated they wanted it
rotated.  The difficult thing is finding a suitable site which is not too  far
from
a hub airport.  And regarding either coast - sometimes it is  easier to fly
from one coast to the other than it is to fly into the middle of  the country.
I remember when St. Louis was a hub and it was great because  everything out
of ABQ stopped there.  Then when TWA folded everyone taking  a dog to the
National there had to fly to Atlanta and back to St. Louis.

Finding good sites is not an easy job (and thank goodness it's not my
job!!).  I would recommend that anyone who can, attend a Board  meeting.  You
will
be surprised at how much work your Board members  actually do.

Tish