[ SHOWGSD-L ] Multiple Bills in Washington State

  • From: "LeAnne - EagleRockGSD" <eaglerockgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 21:58:14 -0800

Stormy - regarding the multiple bills in Washington, I'll see if the two GS
clubs here have legislative liasons who can help and I still have my contact
list of most of the specialty and all-breed clubs in Washington that I
compiled earlier for RALEEF.   Some of the gals on the WA petlaw site were
down in Olympia for the reading - they are bird girls but seeing that there
were NO dog people there for the Senate hearing, they stayed and spoke for
us when the time came.   The local HSUS rep kept telling them to leave
because birds had been taken out of the bill but they insisted on staying
and speaking for the dog people.  That really pissed of the HSUS people big
time!   LOL  But thank goodness they were there as we owe them a HUGE debt
of gratitude!   From what I understand, NAIA was not present at the hearings
so I will contact Patti Strand to see what we can do there for future
hearings.  The AR people blatantly blindsided everyone with only 2 days
notice of the hearings so we need to be prepared next time.

Right off the top of my head, I don't know how much time we have until the
next round but all of us in Washington need to pull together and get these
bills defeated.  There seems to be alot of complacency amongst the dog
community here and I'm afraid if we don't take a stand NOW, we'll wake up
and it will not be our rules we will be playing by but the AR's.  There are
MULTIPLE state-wide bills being read that could affect  ALL of us in some
way or another, especially the puppy lemon law, PAWS for Washington, and the
so-called 'pet dealers' bill.  So if anyone on the list in Washington is
interested in helping to defeat these bills, let's talk and get a plan in
action.

HB 2861 Dangerous dogs.  Full bill here
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?year=2007&bill=2861

SB 6315 full bill here