[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Mr. B's article

  • From: Penny Kroh <farmdogforever@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:10:49 -0400

I have never seen an albino GSD either, Jen.  Like you said, if Mr. B
actually meant albinos when making his points, I could readily understand
his concerns.  But it looks like he was, in actuality, pointing to albinos.
Penny in NC
The Farm Dog Forever
Plum My Guardian

From Lloyd B's article:
"While I have several times referred to whites as "colorless" dogs in this
article, I myself have never seen a pure white German Shepherd Dog which
was not an albino."
IF that were the case where all the "white" GSDs were indeed albino, there
would be a pertinent and founded reason to disqualify them from the breed.
Had they been disqualified from the breed and not eligible for registration
as a GSD with the AKC anymore, this would all be moot point today.
I always get a chuckle at the then proponents of the DQ only went on the
physical appearance of the dog (white hair everywhere), as the
understanding of genetics didn't yet exist.    We now know through the
understanding of genetics that the white coated GSD is not an albino, but
expressing the effects of an epistatic gene in its coat color (as they yet
are solid blacks, tan-points or sables, ya just can't see it), and
unrelated/unconnected to deleterious health effects.  We now know there are
deleterious health effects connected to albinism, and that albinism should
not be perpetuated.
I personally have Never seen an albino GSD- one with pink skin pigment and
blue/pink eyes.  "Lousy" pigment (not predominantly black noses), yes, but
albino?  Never.
Funny enough, many a breeder of whites will tell you that having a colored
GSD in the immediate pedigree (or as a parent) will actually RUIN pigment-
both creating poor skin pigment and "dirty up" the whiter coats.
Has anyone here ever seen a true albino GSD and would maybe have a photo of
said dog?  Just interested in seeing what that would look like, being used
to seeing white coats with the striking black points (and often grey skin
to enhance that white/dark contrast)...

Jen P & her Pack

http://showgsd.org/mail.html