[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Movement (walk or trot )-SAVKC

  • From: RFWFORGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx, Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:49:11 EST

Such memories!!
I well remember those days, as a new and aspiring handler, I was fortunate
to be able to participate in those huge classes with many owner handlers here
in  Southern California.

Barbara's story brings to mind a certain Santa Ana Valley Kennel Club
(SAVKC) show   It happened to fall on the same day (or perhaps weekend  of a
futurity taking place in Arizona.)  Jean took our dog Yungblod,  handled by
Jerry
Graham, while I stayed home to handle some dogs at the  Santa SAVKC Show.

The Judge is still very well known today, as one who will gait the dogs (a
lot for these days), however back then, no one expected anything less.

Here we are at an All Breed Show, I'm handling Phildore's UR Lucky in  Novice
Dogs, and I began counting the number of times we went around the ring. I
counted 26 times. (Tom and  Vivian Brown, always made sure we had a BIG
ring!).
 Any how, we won a big Novice Class for owners John and June Dommer  and
Co-Breeder Ted McGrath. Because many handlers were in Arizona that weekend,  I
also had the honor and pleasure of handling Audrey St. John's Raymor's
Fleetaway
in Specials.

June Dommer was so happy she let me keep the trophy; A very nice mug, which
I still have (Naturally).

Incidentally, I handled Yungblod for all of his points to his  Championship.
UR Lucky also finished his Championship.

I'm sure someone will remember the Judge's Name who gaited the Novice Dog
Class 26 times around the ring at that SAVKC show!

Dick and Jean Whalen
Jericho German Shepherds
"Remember, a Balanced Dog has letters before and After his name!"

In a message dated 11/28/2006 2:03:49 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx writes:
In a  message dated 11/28/2006 1:42:17 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Windwalkergsds

In a message dated  11/28/2006 2:14:26 PM Mountain Standard Time,
Santanagsd1954 writes:
> you have to be concerned of the Handlers , because they are not  allowed to
> hand off the dogs to other Handlers when they tire, as we  used to
do...Until
> the AKC stopped that too...

I know, and I  never understood where they were coming from on that....what
is
wrong with  handing off the dogs to other handlers? What was their argument
on
that?
Jamie

JAMIE:   THEY DECIDED IT ENCOURAGED  EXTENSIVE GAITING... WHICH THEY WERE
ADAMANT ABOUT STOPPING...IN THE GS  RING.
IT DID.. OUR DAUGHTER WAS  A GREAT RUNNER HERSELF AND SHE WAS  TRAINED TO
WAIT FOR  MY SIGNAL , NEXT LAP TO COME IN OR 2ND  TIME...  AND SHE COULD COME

RUNNING IN BEHIND ME AND MATCH MY  STRIDE, AND I COULD HAND OFF THE DOG, AND
GO
OUT OF THE RING,   ALL IN ONE EASY MOTION...AND WE  NEVER MISSED A BEAT., US
OR
THE  DOG... .. LOTS OF US HAD  OUR KIDS OR FRIENDS TRAINED TO DO IT... BUT
THEN
WE WERE ALSO ALLOWED TO CHANGE OUR PLACEMENTS  WHILE IN MOTION..  IF A JUDGE
MOTIONED YOU TO THE FRONT OF THE LINE, YOU HAD TO OUTMOVE EVERY  DOG IN FRONT
OF
YOU TO TAKE THAT POSITION, NO ONE 'NICELY' SLOWED DOWN TO  LET ANYONE PASS
THEM...
I ALWAYS HAVE TO LAUGH WHEN I RECALL MORRIE  GORDON RUNNING IN BEHIND JACK LA

ROU TO SPELL JACK.... WHO  WAS  IN FRONT OF THE LINE WITH  MORRIE'S DOG,
'BARRY'  AND WAS   GOING ALL OUT AND MORRIE CAME IN BEHIND JACK, TO SPELL HIM
AND
TAKE OVER  BARRY... AND BEGAN YELLING 'GO BARRY', GO!!!' IN HIS
EXCITEMENT..AND
JACK  YELLED BACK AND SAID 'SHUT UP' OR YOU'LL NEVER CATCH US !!''
SO  MORRIE  finally STOPPED ENCOURCOURAGING  BARRY, .  AND  JACK  GOT BARRY
SLOW JUST ENOUGH FOR MORRIE TO CATCH  UP WITH  THEM..

BUT WHAT A SIGHT!!! THE  HANDLER WAITING FOR THE  HAND-OFF AND THE  'SPELL
GUY' RUNNING BEHIND HIM FAST AS HE COULD GO,  AROUND THE LARGE RING,. YELLING
FOR HIS  DOG TO  'GO   BARRY, GO!!!'  I GUESS IT IS ONE OF THOSE THINGS
WHERE,
YOU JUST  WOULD HAVE HAD TO HAVE BEEN THERE.. BUT IT ALWAYS MAKES  ME LAUGH
THINK ABOUT IT!!! BARB W.