[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Movement vs temperament

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx, Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 15:23:27 -0400

What a great post!  I didn't know Lamar and have no idea if he was serious or
not.  But, I sure don't like the idea of incorporating a spook into your
breeding program for movement.  I don't get that.  Our breed should have drive
and want to work.  Yes, I have had a couple that get bored and really don't
like showing.  But, the temperament is to die for.  On the other hand, I have
had dogs with high drive that want to please, want to work and will do anything
I ask, with gusto.  What I haven't had is a total spook.  I don't think I would
want one.  I have dealt with fear issues from the rescues, timid dogs and a
couple I had to build confidence and they weren't alpha pups.  I had one girl
jumped in the show ring when she was 6mos old to the day.  She hated showing
after that.  She tried to please me and did well at her futurity but she hated
it.  She is not a spook.  She went into herding, worked well with other dogs
and loves people and other dogs.  I stopped showing her.  Running for your life
or from fear is not pretty.  I don't see how that is an quality to be desired.
Running to see your Mom or Dad is a different :-)  Then again, I don't like the
racing, pulling dogs in the ring either.  I want to see the natural movement on
a loose lead.

JMHO

Laura

  From: Lyn Chernak To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx ; showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent:
aturday, March 27, 2010 9:35 PM

 Ok, since that is a true statement, was it meant to be used as a quick fix for
ovement or as a breeding tool?
  Was the 3rd generation spook suppose to be on the sire's side or the dam's?
aking this a step further
  (no pun intended) what would happen if the spook was on both sides and then
ine-bred or in-bred?
 I agree with you  that sound dogs can get bored and not perform.
 And yes it stings to be beat by an "unsound dog".  Lyn Chernak
  ________________________________
 From: "Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx" <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>Movement vs temperament
  I head it first hand...Lamar said that.  Actually, he said it in a few
ifferent ways.   He'd say a spook
  showed better than a confident dog.  In fact, we have it on tape somewhere...
  I guess there's some merit...I've had and have confident dogs who love to
how.

 I've also had confident dogs who got bored and didn't "perform"   (i.e. race
round as if the devil himself
 was after them) get beat by dogs you'd need a butterfly net to catch when the
lass was over.

 That kind of loss stings...BUT, I have to live with my dogs and when I breed a
itter to keep one back for myself,
  the dogs I don't keep end up on some child's bed...so they need to be wrapped
ight.

 Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
  cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:
 Since I >  did not hear this first hand, I will not mention names. What I did
ear was, >  that back about 20
 years ago a well known handler had said that in order to >  get a better
over, every 3rd generation you need
 to put a spook into your >  breeding program.
 My question is; if this was actually said and practiced, did  this theory
rove to be true?    Was the impact on
 movement worth the impact on >  temperament?>
 Lyn Chernak
is Copyrighted 2009.  All material remains the property of the original
MANNER