[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Movement/ floating v. driving

  • From: <ricknaudra@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:15:47 -0500

I've always like a phrase I believe Jimmy has used in the past

"Daisy clipping"

Think about it.

-Rick Haase

------------------------------

Msg: #6 in digest
From: Jim Barnhart <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Need Some Help Re: Movement/ floating v. driving
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:52:24 -0800

Kathy,  Perhaps "floating" is not a good term because it is confusing
or ambiguous.  I am referring to suspension.   To me the great moving
GSD grabs the ground with their rear foot and their rear drive like a
powerful spring thrusts them forward on a long, low arc with feet
close to the ground creating a long period of "suspension".  The term
flying trot is used when at faster speeds all four feet literally
leave the ground.  The good suspending dog appears to "float" at
slower speeds like a cat because of the strength and flexibility in
the rear and the mechanics of speed and weight.   Some GSD's have
"pretty, floaty" gait, particularly small males and bitches, because
they don't have as much mass to thrust forward and are not truly
GSD's that move with suspension in my opinion.