[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Movement - My Take - Maybe Controversial for Thoughts

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:45:52 -0400

In a post sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:32 AM
"Jessica MacMillan" <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Big Movers - Dogs that take up a huge amount of space when they go. It can
be because of proper reach and drive or because the dog has a lot of leg
action.

Jess, I'm familiar with the term "big mover" from horses, and do think it is
apropos to apply the term to dogs who take up a lot of space when they gait
due to reach and a strong driving rear.

However, I'm having a hard time understanding how this same term would apply
to a dog with a lot of leg action.  Perhaps I don't understand what you mean
by "a lot of leg action."   Are you referring to what you call "flashing
legs?"

Or are you referring to dogs who only look good when they "fly" around the
ring due to whatever reason?

The reason I ask is I have a beautiful, well bred little bitch who can fly
and looks good at "light speed."  However, when she's slowed down, one can
easily see that, while being very balanced and athletic, she doesn't have
proper angulation of the front or rear.  Plus, her croup is fairly flat.

Regardless of her lack of angulation, she has little wasted motion and can
gait all day long.  She's also very clean coming and going.

But, she is not correct and should not be shown at *any* speed or in any
size ring.  Nor would I refer to her as a "big mover."  She's what I think
of as a "farm" dog.  And a *wonderful* companion.

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Allemande German Shepherd Dogs
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam