[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Movement - My Take - Maybe Controversial for Thoughts

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:30:47 -0400

Well, I have stayed out of this as I feel I am still in the learning phase.
(Hope I am always learning, lol!)  Anyway, I have to disagree with some of
what you said here.  I show in both venues but mostly AB.  The AB rings do
NOTHING to show great side gait on a GSD.  The dog gets to make a few strides
before having to turn.  There is no time for the dog to move out.  Thus the
dogs are kept either strung up or show too contained to show the side
movement.  The other issue is that strung up dogs who aren't allowed to move
out do not show their true movement.  Think about how pretty your dog looks
moving across your yard, without a lead or handler.  A small ring can never
show that, no matter how much conditioning you do. The movement will always be
stilted.
I know you are a Dal person so I will give you this food for thought as
well.  I am currently working with a Soft Coated Wheaton.  She is young and
loves to pace.  Initially I was hired to train her not to pace.  Now I will
be showing her this weekend.  This girl loves to move out.  I started
letting her go out in front of me and she loves it.  She is a GSD in disguise,
LOL!  I have to be very careful how much lead I give her.  If I go too fast,
she will gallop.  But, when she moves out, she is gorgeous.  If I go too slow
or sting her up, she starts leaning or crabbing or pacing.
 For a small dog, I would bet she would do better in a larger ring just as
much as a GSD.  Wish me luck with her this weekend, LOL!

My point is that different breeds show better in different venues, period.
GSD's do better in a large ring to really show their potential.  A clean down
and back is not enough for our breed.  It is a good thing but it is the
combination of that and being able to really see the sidegait that counts.  A
dog that may look like he/she has locked hocks or lifting fronts may not show
that in a larger ring as they don't have to be held back.  A lot of the
lifting fronts may be due to being strung up.  That doesn't mean that same dog
will exhibit that fault in a larger ring or even in your own back yard.
However, a soft back, bad temperament and structure will be seen in either
ring.

JMHO

Laura