[ SHOWGSD-L ] Movement

  • From: Sarah Minsk <gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 12:23:43 -0400

I am confused on another point.
I feel confident that I understand the standard but......All the past breed
standard illustrations from my old german shepherd books show a much more
moderate dog but the dogs I see in the ring look more angulated. In fact, my
old german shepherd books actually show a much more square dog as representing
the breed standard. In addition, the dogs movement in youtube videos from the
different decades clearly show a different style of movement in the ring. So,
my question is...why the change in movement over time and why has movement
become  so important? I mean I understand that everyone wants a clean moving
dog with a nice stride but it seems, from my inexperienced viewpoint, that
movement is the MAIN emphasis on the german shepherd today.  If we have one
breed standard that has always existed than why don't dogs look and move the
same now as they did 40, 50, or 60 years ago? Breed standards are not suppose
to "evolve" or change, correct?  Isn't that why there is a breed standard to
begin with?

I don't think we should ever focus solely on one trait but view the whole dog
completely. I have no problem with a dog being a clean mover and correct with
an effortless stride but I don't think the dog MUST BE an extreme mover in
order to do well. Is that really the standard? I mean, when did extreme
movement become the benchmark for what one considers a quality dog? At what
point in the timeline did movement and conformation standards change? I mean
they both must go hand in hand, correct? I am asking honestly. Can anyone
pinpoint a time frame?  I mean has movement always been the be all, end all?
Show dogs from the past clearly moved and looked differently and, yet, they
represented the breed standard.

My confusion continues...case in point. Breeders tell me that the german
shepherd has to have this "huge" effortless movement because it is the most
efficient for herding sheep all day long. However, I have studied the herding
lines extensively and have been in contact with numerous herding breeders
(working farms not trial dogs) and there is a true disconnect. People say the
gsd must move huge to be able to herd sheep effortlessly all day but all the
real working sheepdogs (who actually work on farms and are not just titling) do
not move like the showdogs!  That is why I am confused.

So, if I breed a dog that fits the current breed standard will it change?

Sarah