[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Mouse Dance/herding instinct

  • From: "Oak&Carrie Smith" <osmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <candiasgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 13:31:43 -0600

Candy said-
" My husband still won't believe the mouse was 3 feet long!"

Reminds me of the time a few years back, I had just finished fencing off the
yard so that I could let the dogs out to run when they would wake me up in
the middle of the night. We live VERY rural and Bear and Mountain Lions are
common. It was June, 3:00am and the dogs declarded they just had to go out.
Ah, my new fence solved a lot of problems! So jumping out of bed wearing my
birthday suit I escorted the dogs to the door and outside. Imagine my dimay,
in the moonlight what I took for a deer had jumped into the newly fenced
yard (about 2 acres) and off like a bullet were the three dogs! Poor deer
didn't know about the fence and apparently could not see it in the moonlight
(a sheep fence) and the dogs were herding the thing back to me where I now
stood in the middle of the yard yelling for them to leave it. My, but in the
moonlight as they herded the critter ever closer I thought "runs kind of
funny for a deer!" NOT!!! A Mountain Lion being driven right to me by the
ever so proud Shepherds. Passed by at a hands width and I assured Carrie he
must have been 18' long from tip of nose to tip of tail. :{)
He finally jumped out of the yard and we have not seen him since!
So Candy I know about those giant critters that roam only at night.
:{)
Oak

Carrie & Oak Smith
Oak Ridge German Shepherds