[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Mo's Magnificent Christmas Miracle - This time it should work!

  • From: Sheryl Scott <sherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WLFHRTGSD@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:16:34 -0800 (PST)

See, this is one of the stories that makes you cry. This one should be
submitted to the GSD book of memories!! Great story!! I had a similar story of
one of my girls who was terrified of storms and she got out of her pen in my
kennel building and the wind blew my kennel door open and she was gone for 4
days before I found her! I wasn't giving up. I lived way out in the country at
the time and I drove and walked everywhere I could think of, even in the
pouring down rain.  Finally on the 4th day, I took a chance and went down a
road I had not been down. I drove about 2 miles and I saw some people standing
in their front yard planting flowers so I pulled up in their drive to ask if
they had seen a skinny german shepherd and they said yes!!! She had been
hanging around at their neighbor's barn. I drove over to the neighbor's house
and the lady was there and she said my dog had just been there moments before.
So I started running around her back yard like a mad woman calling my gi
 rl's
 name. No Tessie. I kept calling and finally I saw her head above some weeds
looking at me. I called her again, and here she came as fast as those legs
would carry her!! She ran to my car as fast as she could go and just started
jumping at the door to get in!! I was never so happy to see her!! I thought I
would never see her again!!
Sheryl
WLFHRTGSD@xxxxxxx wrote:
Sorry - I didn't send this properly the first time. This original story was
posted on our list as part of a major cross-posting effort to find a lost GSD.
It's been at least a couple weeks since the post was up here, and I had
contacted the indiviudal privately. Been thinking about it, and this morning
found the following in my mailbox. She asked another friend (not a lister, I
don't think) to post it to all the GSD chat boards so I'm posting it here.

Destiny's Rescue's Christmas Miracle

For all of you who have helped and/or prayed for our Magnificent Mo - this
story is for you!

This is Rhea of Destiny's Rescue. I finally had another sighting of my much
loved and lost Mo at 9:30am Christmas Eve morning. A lady called with a
sighting of a tall, thin, male german shepherd. I immediately but half
heartedly
drove to Dayton trying not to get my hopes up that this could finally be my
long
lost boy Mo-Mo.

Once I got to the home of Maryanne and her daughter, they quickly told me
their story and why they called. Maryanne's daughter was home from college for
Christmas break. She had come home thursday and was shoveling her mother's
driveway for over 4.5hrs. Exhausted and dark outside, she quit and left the
last
20' to be shoveled Christmas Eve morning.

At 9:30am Christmas Eve morning Maryanne's daughter went back outside to
finish shoveling her mother's driveway. It was then that she saw a tall, very
thin, black & tan shepherd trot thru her mother's back yard. She called to the
dog but it just ran off.

45mins later she was finally finished shoveling the snow (she did a Great Job
too!). She went back inside and headed to the bathroom to take a shower.
She bumped into her mother and just by chance mentioned the dog she saw in the
back yard. Maryanne jumped and said "there's a missing shepherd I read about
in the paper (dayton daily), maybe it's him". So she ran and looked
desperately for the 2wk old newspaper that contained the article regarding our
Lost Mo.
Amazingly she still had the paper and quickly called my cell phone. She told
me of the happenings that morning and I told her I was on my way.

I arrived at their home at 11:30am Christmas Eve and was told the above
story. I nervously handed the daughter several pictures of my much loved Mo-Mo.
was so afraid that this would once again be a let down as so many times in
the past 5 weeks. As soon as she saw the first picture she said "yes, that's
him". Still very weary, I ask her how tall he was and she put her hand just
below her hip bone. At this point I lost all composure and began bawling and
shaking. I truly believed she had in fact seen my Mo-Mo. Once I calmed down and
was able to speak again, we discussed the necessary steps forward. Maryanne
and her daughter generously agreed to allow me to set the trap I was borrowing
from Butler County's Dog Warden (graciously donated for 4wks by Renee, Dog
Warden). They also agreed to bait the trap for me every morning and of course
check the trap throughout the day to see if any critters or by chance Mo were
in the trap.

I decided to follow the fresh footsteps thru the more than 2' of snow before
getting the trap that was set in Kettering at the time. The dog tracks were
fresh and I just had to follow them in hopes of finding my Mo-Mo. I also hung
up fliers all over the neighborhood in hopes that someone would call my cell
while I was there. 5.5hrs later, I was completely exhausted, soaked to the
bone, colder than I ever thought possible and very depressed. I had not
received
1 phone call and although I was able to find where the tracks started from
and where the dog was most likely sleeping, I didn't get 1 single glimpse of Mo
or any other loose dog for that matter.

I finally decided that while I had some strength left, I needed to get the 6'
save-a-heart trap from Kettering and somehow load it into my small vehicle
(my dog transporting mini-van broken down on Dec 22nd). Of course the trap was
covered in 2' of snow but was protected by many blankets and quilts. There
were absolutely no signs of any critters having visited the trap since the snow
began falling wednesday night. I cleaned up the trap, unlocked the bolt, and
managed to get it into my vehicle. Granted the car door wouldn't shut! I had
to use a close line that Susan had given me to secure the hatchback and trap
so i could move it 5miles to Maryanne's house just off Wilmington Pike.

When I got there Maryanne quickly came out to greet me and assist with
getting the trap covered and secured. I showed her how to bait the trap and how
release any little critters that where trapped, except of course for a dog. I
then headed home.

Being Christmas Eve and having just got my shopping done on the 23rd I had
alot of wrapping to do and tending to the other rescued german shepherds here
at
my home. Around 2am Christmas morning I was finally able to sit down to the
computer and respond to my emails from the day. I was very depressed and
mournful that I had not been successful in rescuing Mo before Christmas as I
had
promised Susan, Mo's loving foster mommy. I just couldn't bare to go to bed so
I stayed on the computer until I could no longer hold my head up at 6am. I
then went to bed and fell asleep until 10:30am. I hopped in the shower and was
dreading facing the day with my family because I so desperately wanted to be
in Dayton looking for my lost boy.

Miraculously my son, Jeremiah, bounded into the bathroom and hollered, "Mom,
Susan's got Mo!". Of course it didn't sink in. I told him to tell her I'd
call her right back. I promptly turned off the water and called Susan. She was
screaming with joy and utter elation "Rhea, I've got Mo! ! ! ! ! I've Got
Him!!!!!" I of course screamed and began hyperventilating. I actually got so
overwhelmed with so many emotions I physically got sick to my stomach.

Susan exclaimed that she went to the barn where i told her the dog in
question was sleeping and she walked all thru the barn. There was no dog to be
found
and the pile of dog food & KFC chicken I left the night before was still
there. So she went to Maryanne's house to check the trap and to begin her
plight
of handing out more fliers and grooming the neighborhood for a hopeful
sighting of the german shepherd running loose.

Mind you that Susan's entire subdivision had been completely snowed in for 2
days. It wasn't until many phone calls were made to the President of
Fairfield Township Christmas Eve night and in the wee hours of the morning
Christmas
day, that their subdivision was finally plowed and she was able to get out.
Would you ever have fathomed that anyone would be plowing streets on Christmas
morning? We certainly didn't!

When Susan got to the house, Maryanne came running out the door exclaiming
"He's here! He's here!". Susan was speechless, shaken, excited and yet
terrified to look in the trap for fear that it would not be our loving Mo-Mo.
Much to
her astonishment and shock - it was MO! ! ! ! That's RIGHT

Our Magnificent Mo had made the most Miraculous of Christmas Miracles Come
True!

You will be delighted to know that when Mo saw Susan's car he drug her to it
and hopped right in! When they got home - yep! He drug her right to the front
door! Mo is amazingly seemingly unscathed by this horrible ordeal. He is
playful, eating & drinking well, playing with Susan and Fred's other shepherds
just as he had in the past. The only difference is, he's back to being as
emaciated as he was when I first rescued him in August, he is a tad bit
skittish a
t first and he won't leave Susan's side! I have beautiful pictures to share
with you but my new digital camera isn't working. So they'll have to be sent
separately.

Thank each and every one of you for your support, help and guidance in
helping us find our Magnificent Mo! Mo is now a permanent part of Susan, Fred,
Kelsey, Cheyenne and Sable's family! ! !

Please pass this True story of Magnificent Mo's Christmas Miracle on to as
many people as you know. I truly believe this story will give light and hope to
others who are praying for their miracle. We want the entire world to know
that miracles Can and Do happen if you keep the faith, don't give-up and just
believe!

Merry Christmas

Bonnie - could you please post this to the gsd web board for me? i have to
run back to dayton for a puppy adoption and to of course spend some time with
my Mo-Mo on my way home. Bless You

Rhea Aker, Founder
Destiny's Rescue for German Shepherds
www.DestinysRescue.com

POST is Copyrighted 2004. All material remains the property of the original