[ SHOWGSD-L ] More about Lex

  • From: "Joy Schultz" <wdaoffice@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 09:46:16 -0500

Forwarded with the permission of Kelly Hooker, Military Working Dog Memorial
Coordinator. If interested, check out their website at
www.militaryworkingdogmemorial.com

Hi Joy,

I wanted to let you know about something that I am working on that may be of
interest to your club members.

I don't know if you recently heard about the adoption of Military Working
Dog Lex from the Marine Corp in Albany, Georgia. Lex was the War Dog of
Fallen Marine K9 Handler Dustin Lee from Stonewall, Mississippi.  Dustin was
killed in March 2007 and Lex was severely injured.  After 9 long months of
petitioning the Marines, Dustin's family was allowed to adopt Lex on Dec 21,
2007.

I put Dustin's family in touch with a personal friend of mine, John C
Burnam.  From there John wrote this beautiful story( that I am attaching )
and shared it with Congressman Walter Jones of North Carolina.  During all
of this, Dustin's uncle and I were working to get the public involved and
thankfully we had a Christmas Miracle and Lex was adopted to Rachel and
Jerome Lee exactly 9 months after their oldest son Dustin was killed.

I tell you all of this, because I am organizing a Ground Breaking Ceremony
for our MWD Memorial to raise public awareness and get the media involved.
We will be honoring Lex and Dustin's family along with other MWDs at this
ceremony.  John will be our guest speaker.

We are looking at the possibility of having a dinner with John as our
keynote speaker.  IF we do this, we will be selling tickets to attend as
part of our fundraiser.

I am reaching out to the dog community to see how much interest there is in
this event.  John is a nationally known author, speaker and storyteller and
the Founder of The National War Dogs Monument Project in Wash, DC.

Let me know what you think.  It will be sometime during February, possibly
Sat. Feb 16th, 2008.

Thanks,

Kelly Hooker
MWD Memorial Coordinator