[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: More Batty Ideas

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jessica MacMillan" <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:36:08 -0600

Jessica, thank you for the info. As for Purina Farms, I have been there,
and to those aren't opposed to going there, there shouldn't be any
opposition to going back to the Kentucky Horse Park, at least although the
facility is not climate controlled it is an indoor arena and not outside.
In the past, there have been quite a few who stated that the National is
their vacation time. I completely understand, however, times they are a
chang'in and you can fly anywhere without a dog and stay anywhere without a
dog, and you might actually be able to fly many places with a dog in a
crate sized 400 and under. However, flying with a 500 crate presents a
whole different set of issues and it could be that we need to rethink our
position on the National being a vacation, and reprioritizing what we are
attending the national for.This year, we took in the sites in Colorado and
really enjoyed it. We probably would not have gone to Colorado if it
weren't for the National. On the flip side, if I didn't have dogs, and
wasn't spending money showing dogs, I would probably have more money and
time to vacation and go to and fro as I wished and maybe would have went to
Colorado for a real vacation, spent the week in a lodge in the mountains
and not worry whether or not the hotel was dog friendly or if there was
enough grass to exercise them on..I am not the most adaptable person in the
world. I hate change and have always prescribed to "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it." I don't like airlines making my life more difficult, and I
hate that even the most simple of tasks seems to be a battle.However,we all
have to be willing to make some concessions, and learn to adapt to these
unpleasant changes. If that possibly means rotating between a couple of
sites, then so be it. Christine

hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Steve and Christine Grainger
WWW.HICKORYHILLGSD.COM

I suspect that we may end up going back to the rotation system for a
while... While lots of the membership likes to go to the same place every
year, there are enough people who use it as vacation time who really want
to see other parts of the country. I suspect though, as time goes by, we
will end up coming back to the "three year" deal.

> As for Fort Mitchell, they LOVE dog clubs and have an awesome facility
for our needs and there is access to the tracking sites, road trials, etc -
I suspect that they would not be available in the three year time. One of
the discussions that has come up is booking Purina Farms. Personally, I
have not been there, but everyone who has (and I think the GSDCA was there
just a couple of years ago?), says it is outstanding - and they have
invited us to come too.

> Shipping is going to get tougher and tougher I am afraid and dal people
are very aware of it - 400 vari kennels are as hard to get on a plane as
500's are these days. We have trouble shipping bitches to stud dogs
(without paying for a seat) and of course the airlines are just getting
more uncooperative (thank you airlines and animal rights folks!).. We also
have to consider the embargos that run from May through October most years,
that makes it almost impossible for Nationals to be held during the
non-school year (poor teachers)...

> I have a friend who is on the board of directors for the GRCA (Golden
Retriever Club of America) and they are in the exact same boat as all of us
and I know the Flat-Coat club also has the problem.

> Long and the short of it - if people REALLY want to come to the National,
they can usually figure out a way to get there - the hardest is when you
have that beautiful puppy can't figure out how to get HIM there.