[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Montana Bill 726

  • From: "Daryl Lauffer" <daryllauffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:49:09 -0700

Maybe the appropriate action would be to contact the Legislators and ask for
refinement of this bill to address areas of concern.  I become nervous when
we automatically oppose every piece of legislation that has the word dog in
it.  Pretty soon they are going to quit listening all together.  We should
support good bills and find a way to work with folks that actually have the
right idea, just need more input to make it better.
Dee

    From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: daryllauffer@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Montana Bill 726
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:25:45 -0500

I agree with you, Dee, and I think the bill is meant to address
cruelty and not breeders of purebred animals.  Still, all too often it
is the breeders are the
ones who get caught up in the enforcement of such laws.

    I believe that the bill does not define cruelty, or who is to
decide whether the person
is a hoarder or just someone with a lot of animals.

    Personally I am suspicious of any legislation that establishes a
figure for the number of animals an individual may own because
historically, those numbers are lowered...and without definitions, the
very fact that such laws exist can be turned against anyone.  This was
one of the problems with the PAWS bill.

    In this case, if a person had 3 dogs, a cat, two birds, and  two
children with pet hamsters or guinea pigs, that person would be a
person of interest to law enforcement.  Overall, it does seem not to be
such a threatening piece of legislation, however.

  Peggy

Daryl Lauffer wrote:

Ginger had sent us a link for a Montana Bill 726.  Please note that bill has
made it out of committee so if you disagree with is you need to act quickly.
  It now goes back to the House to be voted on.  Here is a link for a list
of all the members of the House of Representatives:

http://leg.mt.gov/css/sessions/60th/roster.asp?HouseID=1&SessionID=91

I will say that I read this bill and there are some good parts to it.  They
are also addressing the issue of transportation and shelter in evacuation
type emergencies.  I can't say that I see where the hoarding definition is a
bad one.  It is more than just "10 dogs and your a horder"  it also says
over 10 and not caring for them etc.  I copied this from the Bill itself:

5)  As used in this section, the following definitions apply:
(a)  "Companion animal hoarding" means:
(i)  possession of 10 or more companion animals or household pets;
(ii) failure or inability to provide the necessary care for the animals in
violation of subsection (1)(c);
(iii) confining the animals in a severely overcrowded environment; and
(iv) inability to recognize or understand the nature of or having a
reckless disregard for the conditions under which the animals are living and
the deleterious impact those conditions have on the health and well-being of
the animals and the owner.

Maybe I'm not seeing something that others are, but it doesn't look that bad
to me.
Dee Lauffer

Don?t miss your chance to WIN 10 hours of private jet travel from Microsoft®