[ SHOWGSD-L ] Monrovia, CA -- am I too suspicious?

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 12:47:54 -0500

shared by Peggy

Maybe I'm just suspicious, but below is a letter asking for volunteers.  My
thoughts on this are:
Once they know where you live and how many dogs you have etc it's all over.
They can be the ones who take your dogs.

Hello all-

I am the new Lead Animal Control Officer for the City of Monrovia and am
trying to set up a plan for any type of disaster or emergency that may occur
in our city that would include our pet population.  As of now, we do not
have an evacuation plan set up for animals.  So we are looking for people
who are willing to participate in an evacuation plan during a disaster or
emergency.  Right now we need people who can volunteer their time, donate
food or crates, offer transportation to rescue facilities or shelters, house
livestock or have access to horse trailers.  If you or anyone you know could
do any of these things we would really appreciate the assistance.

Also, any breed rescues that are still taking in animals or still
functioning please send me an email letting me know you are still in the
rescue business.  If you have a website please email it to me, if not please
give me some information on your rescue.  I would just like to know about
the rescues my animals will be going to.  So if you could leave the
following information I would appreciate it.  If you have a kennel for the
dogs or if you keep them in your home, if you have a license/permit, how
many dogs you currently have, how many foster homes (if any) and how many
dogs you have out with them, also how many dogs you have adopted out this
past year.  All this information would be helpful to know.  And who knows,
you may get more contacts out of this as well.

Monrovia Animal Control currently contracts out with Inland Valley Humane
Society in Pomona.  That is where we take our animals.  If you are familiar
with them, you know they have a short holding period and the number of
animals they euthanize is pretty high because of how many animals they get
in on a daily basis.  They are highly overpopulated and just don't have the
room to keep them longer, even though I know they wish they could.  I would
prefer to find homes for as many pets as I can, including mixed breeds and I
know you do too.  So any info on you and your rescue would be great to have
on hand and anyone interested in being placed on our disaster relief contact
list would be extremely helpful.

Thank you for your time!

Sincerely,

April Bishop