[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Modifying GSD temperament

  • From: "Paula Cooke" <pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 19:39:44 GMT

I agree with you Christine.  I used to be so surprised to see a dog/bitch
quivering and almost on it's belly outside the ring, then the handler comes
along, picks up the lead, and no problem!!  Doesn't surprise me anymore; we do
have some totally EXCELLENT dog trainers amongst us!!

I love the TC test put on by our PC, but, I can only trust it when I know the
dog and handler did it totally green.  That is how I did it with Ch. Diana
under Bob Penny; I had never even seen the test performed, just did what I was
told and, when finished, Bob told me that the Germans would love Diana and that
we obviously had a great bond (we did and I still miss her, every day).

Even more fun, though I did own him, Ch. Harley did not know me from Adam, when
at 10 months of age, at the Great Lakes Futurity, Chuck Sedgewick handed me his
leash and told me that he had entered him under Gene Gray for his TC.  We
walked through the course cold and passed with flying colors.

If we could place these types of restrictions on all entrants to the TC, it
would be more trustworthy.  But, as I said, we do have some totally EXCELLENT
dog trainers amongst us and that is not necessarily good for our breed.  Maybe
the PC could have the TC judge take the dog from it's owner/handler at ring
entrance, and hand the dog to a complete stranger to go through the test??
Yeah, like that would fly, eh??  :-)  :-)

Paula, 327 days and counting