[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Modifying GSD temperament

  • From: S&C Grainger <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 09:52:20 -0800 (PST)

Helen, I think what was done back then WAS better and more natural. I think
most  know that I have little tolerance for poor temperament, however the
current temperament test proves absolutely nothing. As Kathleen points out, it
is unnatural for a person to back away from a dog several feet for the dog to
be petted by a stranger. Who in their right minds does this when out in public?
Also if the current temperament test worked we wouldn't have very well trained
unsound dogs skating though it and then being rewarded with the honor of the
select rating. One could argue that perhaps it is not a perfect test,but better
than nothing. Not really, simply because an unsound dog passing the test
deceives the fancy into believing that the animal is in fact sound, when it is
not. Many unsound dogs have passed their TC testing some on a second and third
attempt. In my opinion, once a dog fails the test..it has failed it. No second
chances. Instead a dog fails, the
 dog is trained through the portion it failed and retested, it then passes, and
this proves what? Any test that an animal can be trained to pass is worthless.
If there was a test that could be given that was spontaneous, or perhaps
different each time it was given, so no "pre-training" could be done, then I
would be less harsh on dogs who didn't pass it the first time and would
consider giving them one more chance as every dog can have a bad day. Think
about this...since most know when their dogs are unsound, and they "pre-train"
them for the testing, what should this tell you when the dog fails the loose
lead test or TC test despite being trained to get through it? CG
www.hickoryhillgsd.com