[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Modifying GSD temperament

  • From: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
  • To: inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 11:40:17 EST

Kathleen,just for the record,I judged our National three times  ,including
approx 200 Specials,
long before we had a Temperament test included in the judging requirement.
I always talked to the dogs as I approached them. Most judges did back
then(  Connie ,Bob Williamson,  Ernie Loeb,Jim Norris) and temperament was
evaluated by our judgement during  the exam. Really no difficulty. The  class
had been gaited around several times, with me,usually yelling out
instructions. Other judges did the same The dogs become familiar  to a judges
voice,as
we instructed a change of  gait (slow,full trot,walk).. Maybe because we had
much larger classes  ,and worked them longer. before we did the
individual,it was easier to determine  temperament,when you approached them.
Usually
they were panting and tail  wagging. I always said "Hi Big Boy" to the
males,and "Hi sweetheart," to the  bitches. I usually kept talking as I went
over
the head and opened the mouth.We  judged a little differently back then,.
Doesn't mean it was better or  worse--just a point of  information. Helen
Miller Fisher

In a message dated 11/21/2009 1:49:53 P.M. Central Standard Time,
inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I  realize this is a dramatic step -- but this evaluation could be done  as
succinctly as this current "loose lead evaluation" which is, IMO, NOT  a
natural method of determining who exhibits correct GSD (not  golden
retriever) temperament, and I do not believe it is helping  improve
temperament in the breed.

Just some  thoughts,

Kathaleen