[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Modifying GSD temperament

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: texasgsds@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 09:45:24 EST

Herding was only part of it.  They were to be an all around farm dog  and
part of the family (read Von S if you can get by the totally un-PC attitude,
lol), he really emphasized the "part of the family" bit.  He was HUGE on
keeping only the number of dogs that could be housed w/ their people.
Seriously, it's worth reading.  TOTALLY against large kennels and kenneling
GSDs
in general.

Through the wars they were bred a bit differently to serve.  Some were
bred a bit differently to lead the blind.

We have an adaptable dog.

It's not practical to think GSD owners/families of today want the same dog
the army would.  Most of us don't keep sheep. We aren't "dumbing dogs down"
 when we breed a litter of puppies that will fit in w/ a busy family, play
with  toddlers and protect the house from intruders.

That was one of their earliest callings.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 11/20/2009 7:58:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
texasgsds@xxxxxxxxx writes:

This  post is in response to Jessica M's post about modifying the GSD
temperament to  fit today's times.  The GSD was developed to be a herder/flock
guardian  and needs the aloof temperament called for in the standard to
fulfill that  role.  If you made the GSD friendly, ie Golden Retriever
friendly,
it  would lack breed type.  One of the reasons I like GSD's is the
aloofness.  That temperament fits me.  As for prey drive, isn't it  necessary
for
herding?

Diane
BISS Ch. Echo-Cham's River  Phoenix OFA H&E AKA "River"
Da-Jo's Crestview Ironman AKA  "Tony"
Candia's Hard Rock Candy v Tejas AKA "Rocky"

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org