[ SHOWGSD-L ] Modifying GSD temperament

  • From: Diane Brantley <texasgsds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 16:57:21 -0800 (PST)

This post is in response to Jessica M's post about modifying the GSD
temperament to fit today's times.  The GSD was developed to be a herder/flock
guardian and needs the aloof temperament called for in the standard to fulfill
that role.  If you made the GSD friendly, ie Golden Retriever friendly, it
would lack breed type.  One of the reasons I like GSD's is the aloofness.  That
temperament fits me.  As for prey drive, isn't it necessary for herding?

Diane
BISS Ch. Echo-Cham's River Phoenix OFA H&E AKA "River"
Da-Jo's Crestview Ironman AKA "Tony"
Candia's Hard Rock Candy v Tejas AKA "Rocky"