[ SHOWGSD-L ] Missing Therapy Dog in Texas

  • From: Scharo777@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 17:06:52 EDT

Steffi situationer...

(http://readlarrypowell.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/steffimug_2.jpg)
  From Spencer and Candi Sanders, two  of the helpers in the
search for missing German Shepherd Steffi, report that  there will be a search
Saturday. There's a meeting scheduled at 6:30 a.m. at the  Central Baptist
Church on Old Bynum Road in Hillsboro.

If Steffi isn't found, there'll be a meeting at 11 a.m. Sunday  on a school
campus at 1014 Old Bynum Road. The Sanderses report that Channel 8  News from
Dallas will be there at that time "so we need as many searchers there  as
possible and any tracking dogs that can come."
(Travel directions: Take I-35 south to exit # 368B in  Hillsboro. Exit there,
follow service road to Old Bynum Road and turn right. The  school and the
church are just down the road from that point.) Scroll down to  see previous
posts about Steffi and how to contact Mark and Nancy Malone if you  have
foundor
seen their dog.
August 03, 2005

A Steffi spotting....

There's a nationwide effort to find a missing dog. It's  nationwide, but it
is focused near Hillsboro. The seach has nationwide support  because this dog
is known nationally and has been honored for her  work.
You may have seen the flyers, may have gotten an e-mail. The  missing dog is
Steffi, a German Shepherd therapy dog.
Around noon, there was a sighting at a park in Hillsboro.  Volunteers are
there as this is being written (1:53 p.m.). We'll let you know as  soon as we
know.
Here's how she came to be lost:
She was riding in a northbound SUV on I-35 at Exit 367 near
(http://readlarrypowell.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/steffimug.jpg)

Hillsboro about 3:30 p.m. Sunday when  there was a blowout and the vehicle
overturned, according to Stella Moore, a  friend of the family and a stalwart
of
the Dog Training Club of Dallas  County.
Sasha, also a German shepherd, was thrown from the vehicle and  died. The
driver, their devoted human, Mark Malone, was injured. After being
Careflighted
to Baylor-Ennis, he was treated for "a broken clavicle and ribs"  and he
returned that evening to the scene to hunt for Steffi, who had survived  the
crash
and bolted from the area. He has been there day and night since  Sunday.
The search for Steffi soon grew to include other Therapy Dog  people, Agility
Dog people, firefighters, and volunteers from all over. One man  has
volunteered his airplane for a search, Stella says. Calls have come in from
across
the nation offering money for the reward and help of any kind.
If you are traveling in the area or live in the area or have  people who are
in the area, here is the dog you should look for:
Steffi is a long-haired, more black-than-tan German Shepherd.  She weighs 70
pounds, is spayed and microchipped. She has been honored by  Therapy Dogs
International for her work.
She was wearing collar tags and Therapy Dog International ID  when last seen.

When someone finds Steffi, they should call Stella at  214-943-6277 or e-mail
_stella@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:stella@xxxxxxxxxxx) .
Remember, this is a dog that has helped humans. It is time for  humans to
help this frightened dog.
Here is a roundup from Stella regarding the massive team of  people searching
for this dog (this is mostly from her letter to Therapy Dog  International
thanking TDI for the help and updating the group):
She has arranged a meeting with the Malones and Waco's KXXV-TV  (Channel 25)
and there are other publicity pushes underway. Therapy Dog  International and
the folks at the Baylor Medical Center Animal Assisted Therapy  Dog Program
are also involved in this.
And Stella writes, "We just now received a pro-bono offer from  U.S. Tactical
K-9 Inc. -- a professional SAR corporation out of Abilene, Texas,  that we
are in process of accepting. We have had about 15-20 people down there
yesterday and today and a tracking dog --but the SAR team is a HUGE offer
....We  have
an offer from a person to do an aerial search from a small airplane that we
are in the middle of trying to put in place. We have involved police and fire
departments in the area, as well as all shelters, all veterinarians, all
human  societies. People I don't know and have never met have sent me lists of
place  with contact information. People are notifying industrial offices and
several  contacted me to see what they can do to help. A group from Austin went
yesterday  to a Hillsboro office supply store and the store insisted they
accept
100 free  color copies of a flyer. The same Austin group went to Starbucks
and there were  3 firemen there having coffee and as soon as they realized the
group were  searchers for Steffi (they were aware of the search) they came over
and asked  for copies of the flyer.
"We have posted the word on the following internet lists:  agility lists,
flyball lists (Sasha was a Flyball Champion), obedience lists,  all GSD lists,
Belgian Shepherd dog lists, the Texas Stock dog Association,  Herding lists,
All
breed kennel clubs, Mix-breed organizations, and many more.
"I got an email from a woman I do not know in Florida who will  be back in
Texas today or tomorrow and grew up in that area that will join the  search as
soon as she is back.
"People are taking off from work to join us in searching for  Steffi.
"We have a large Hillsboro Reporter advertisement coming out  tomorrow. The
Malones placed an advertisement, then I added to it and sent in a  picture and
then the wife of their veterinarian, "Dr. Mike" Athon, Cathy Athon,  went
there and paid for the entire greatly enlarged  advertisement.   Mrs. Athon
also
brought pictures of Steffi and contacted all the local  veterinarians of the
area. She and Dr. Mike continue to be involved in the  search and in getting
the
word out.
"Mark's dog club, The Dog Training Club of Dallas County, took  up a
collection last night and we have raised a substantial amount towards the
reward ....
"Mark is in great pain and he and his wife, Nancy, are  exhausted. We are not
giving up hope -- we MUST find Steffi and get her back to  Mark and Nancy.
mark is a prince and his two dogs were his  angels."