[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Missing Teeth

  • From: "Daryl Lauffer" <daryllauffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 20:42:28 -0700

All this talk about lists for the various problems our dogs/bitches may
throw is another good reason for DNA testing and research studies.  SOOOOOO,
I'll use this opportunity to remind everyone of the DNA research being done
on behavior and MOST importantly Bloat by Dr Pletcher  See below!

DNA MARKER HAS BEEN DISCOVERED FOR BLOAT/TORSION

While that day has not come yet, the owners of German Shepherd dogs have the
rare opportunity to help make this dream come true.

In the February 2007 issue of the REVIEW, an article appeared written by Dr
Mathew T. Pletcher of The Scripps Research Institute.  Dr. Pletcher is
conducting a research project on the behavioral genetics in herding dogs.
While watching our dogs in the pen with sheep, haven?t most of us asked
ourselves ?how do they know how to do that??  How does that instinct survive
generations without practice?  Fascinating subject.

In addition, Dr. Pletcher has agreed to add a component to his research.  He
has agreed to look for a DNA marker for bloat/torsion.  In GERMAN SHEPHERDS!
  What does this mean for our dogs?  The rare opportunity to find a DNA
marker specific to our breed.  A marker will allow breeders to breed away
from this disease, eventually eradicating it all together.

How do you participate?  If you have a dog that has survived bloat/torsion
or has had a relative (dead or alive) bloat/torsion contact Dr Pletcher or
his assistant Laura Schultz.  Have a 5 generation pedigree available to send
with the blood sample and medical history on your dog and their relatives,
as much as you know.  Then make an appointment with your Vet for a blood
draw.  The Scripps Research Institute does not charge for your
participation.  Please also note that all information is STRICTLY
CONFIDENTIAL.  The names of dogs or owners are not released to anyone.

Information for your Vet:
5ml blood in an EDTA tube marked with the Dog?s name, AKC #, Breed, sex.
If the dog has been sick (even if healthy now) please include any diagnostic
tests.  Send samples to

Dr. Mathew T Pletcher
The Scripps Research Institute ? Florida
Building RF-1 Room 110
5353 Parkside Drive
Jupiter, FL 33458

Please let them know samples are on their way.
pletcher@xxxxxxxxxxx or Laura Schultz laura@xxxxxxxxxxx

If you would like further information contact GSDCA Health & Genetics
committee members:
Barbara Williams   santandagsd1954@xxxxxx
Dee Lauffer            dlauffer@xxxxxxxxxxx

Play Flexicon: the crossword game that feeds your brain. PLAY now for FREE.
  http://zone.msn.com/en/flexicon/default.htm?icid=flexicon_hmtagline