[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Mirror Method of dog training

  • From: "R. Steiner" <mobilegrmr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 17:32:15 -0500

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 1:16 PM,  <Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> when the girl was being interviewed. she mentioned that they use  clicker
> training.  actually, clicker training is MUCH easier than the old  forceful
> methods - it's a quick, happy and very upbeat method.  the only  difficulty i
> had when learning to do it was getting my timing right and timing  is the
> whole key to success with the method.  once i got that problem  solved, it
> became THE most enjoyable way to train - always successful, always a  happy
> working dog!

Yes I agree the clicker training can be very good but in the video she
lists it as the 2nd of the 3 parts of what she calls the "Mirror
Training method."  The first part is "build up the required
relationship and hierarchy in everyday life, which means that the
owner should fill the leading roll in the pack and there has to be
suitable distance between the dog and other pack members. The owner
has to gain respect in order to set up and keep rules that can be
understood and followed by the dogs."   Not sure if "suitable
distance" is really what is meant in the translation, but the rest of
the statement is oh so true....and too many people (speaking about pet
people here) try to launch right into the "fun" stuff and never
understand that they're missing the very important relationship part.
 Once you have the working relationship, the trick training part will
go well no matter what method is used.

--Regina
2 GSDs and one permanently visiting papillon