[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Minneapolis are you ok

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>, pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 08:50:13 -0700 (PDT)

I was talking about flash flooding not water levels. Our company salvaged a
barge out of the Mississippi river. It has a current that is enough to erode
the banks on it own without flooding. Didn't I hear that the bridge tilted to
the left then the right which then caused a chain reaction?  The bridge that
was next to it, was it an older bridge?

  I bet there will be a ton of bridge inspection across the land this coming
year.

  What I did in my other life.
  http://www.aadiving.com/History/History.html
  Terry Cochran

Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    This is true (about the drought)....also there was no footings in the
water...it was a total suspension bridge.  All the supports were on land.  This
bridge had a score of 50 out of 100 as it relates to the condition of
it....there are hundreds of bridges with ratings lower than that in Minnesota
alone.

  Cindy

Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Actually, Terry, the reports are that the area has been in drought
status...and if the river had been running at its usual height (water
was very low this year)
there'd have been even MORE cars in the water.
It wasn't water that weakened the bridge...it was general weakness.
I used to be in a vanpool with a bunch of people who worked at DOT
(Federal). Two of them were bridge inspectors...they told us that if
people knew
the condition of most of the bridges in this country, we wouldn't drive
over any of them. Personally, I've always been terrified of heights,
and bridges
have always made me nervous. Where I live, it is very hard to go
anywhere without crossing some kind of bridge...I tend to pray a lot
when I have to
drive over them, even more so if traffic makes me have to stop and stand
still while on the bridge...and I always close my eyes when someone else
is driving and I'm just a passenger...and I pray then, too. The praying
got more serious after I met those bridge inspectors.

Peggy

Terry Cochran wrote:

>I am guessing that with all the flooding that has been going on that one of
>the bridge footings lost it's foundation. When one goes they all go. Could be
>wrong but it looked like it failed in the middle then collapsed in both
>directions. Prayers go to all the folks in Minneapolis.

Cindy
www.cinosamgsd.com

Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.