[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Might be a good idea, or might not

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 15:30:35 EDT

In a message dated 6/11/2005 10:42:50 AM Central Daylight Time,
ELG440@xxxxxxx writes:
Might not this come under the provision of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix
it?"   I am not sure changing things just to change them is a good  idea.
I know it sound good to say those nominated have an advantage, but I am not
sure that is true.  It might be a disadvantage.
--------------------------------
I don't know that it is "broke," and I would also like to know if petitioned
candidates win at about the same percentage that nominated ones do?  I merely
offered up the most democratic way to do it, without risking elections that
have too few candidates.  There is one thing though.  If petitioned candidates
win more often than nominated ones, I don't believe that would discount the
advantage. It would suggest though, that the nominating committees are not
picking candidates that membership want in office.

I personally think that announcing nominated candidates before petitioned
ones is an unfair advantage. The nominated candidate has more time to campaign
unless the petitioned candidate's run has been planned ahead of time.  I
suppose
making use of that time advantage is completely up to the candidate.  I have
seen some who wait quietly, and others who campaign so hard that all I want to
do is tell them to take a break!  Whether or not that time advantage is used,
is not as important as the fact that it does exist.  I believe there is one
other advantage for nominated candidates.  When that slate is shown, it feels
like a slate that the GSDCA officers and board are recommending.

Is it broke?  I don't really know.  I'm not even certain of how the
nominating committee is chosen.  I do know that the committee must be selected
by
either the president and approved by the board, or it is selected by the board?

Either way, it gives the appearance of someone in charge, selecting the person
who will nominate who will be in charge.  I intend no accusation in this post.
I merely do not see why petitions can't take precedence over the powers that
be, at least when the job is to choose the powers that be.  I do believe the
same changes should be made for national judge selection though.

As far as "change for the sake of change" ... I joined the GSDCA in 1979.
Since then, I've seen a few titles added and the Review reformatted, but the
only thing anyone has really tried to change has been the standard.

Gail and Dania deserve praise for their efforts with the membership
committee.  In fact, everyone who works to grow the GSDCA gets a pat on the
back from
me.  I merely think that they shouldn't have to work so hard at bringing people
in and convincing people to stay. Their hard work has helped, but the club
should sell itself.  You may be impressed with the number of people who are
members, but I think we should realize that the number is a drop in the bucket
compared to how many people in this country are in love with the breed.
Obviously it will take change to tap into that well, and I just happen to think
that
is a good goal.

Tom Langlitz