[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Micoplasma-

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SHOWGSD@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 11:57:06 -0500

I don't doubt that labs want to "grow it on" for a while, to see,
possibly,how rampant the mycoplasma is...but if it is at a risky level
in the bitch when she is swabbed, it ought to show on the swab at the
initial test.
    I do agree it should be done way before breeding...but even if
treated, you will have to do more than one repetition of the test to
make sure it's gone.  My understanding from people I know who have run
across the problem is that it is never really gone...most animals are
simply removed from the breeding program.  At least that's what they
did......
    One Cavalier breeder I know made a really bad name for herself due
to a couple of bitches having overgrowths of mycoplasma...before it
became so common to test for it, at least one of those bitches was sent
to an outside stud dog, bred naturally, and he got it and infected a few
other bitches before it was caught and traced back to the source.  All
those animals wound up sterile and the bitches who were able to conceive
aborted.  It got to be pretty normal there for a while to test
everything for mycoplasma, and also to do AIs on all bitches, because it
is difficult to identify.
    However, once the swab is taken, the way it grows on in a lab
doesn't make much sense as a way to test whether the bitch is
infected...after all, the growth is taking place outside of the bitch,
right?
    Peggy