[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Michael Vick

  • From: Shofar Shepherds <shofar_k9s@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 16:44:27 -0700 (PDT)

This was on another list with a request to be forwarded to all: Might be good
to forward to CNN.
Please forward to all email lists
============ ========

The Humane Society of the United States has mounted a huge campaign to raise
money to care for the dogs rescued from Michael Vick's dogfighting ring. The
plea comes complete with a heartbreaking picture of one of the injured dogs.
(Not surprisingly, studies have shown that people donate more when shown a
picture of or told a story about a single animal needing help. HSUS is very
clever at fundraising. ) But before you contribute, please note:

1) There is a disclaimer in fine print at the bottom of the form which says
your donation may be used for other HSUS programs and may not be used to help
the dog fight victims.

2) There has been no accounting for the nearly $20 million HSUS raised for
the Katrina dogs and cats. The organization is under investigation by the
Louisiana Attorney General for their handling of that situation.
http://tinyurl. com/25avhp

3) HSUS has NO shelter. It is a corporate office building in Washington, DC.
It is supposedly "overseeing" the care of the dogs that were seized from
Vick's house, but we don't know where the animals are, Will the shelter
actually
providing their care receive all the donations this campaign generates?

4) There is no reason to believe that your contributions will go to help the
dogs seized from Michael Vick or any other dogs or cats. HSUS spends most of
its money on legislative efforts to make dog breeding impossible and pet
ownership more difficult, more expensive, and more dangerous.

5) HSUS claims its servers crashed from the response to their first appeal
for money for these dogs, yet they are still out there beating the drum for
more money, still claiming more is needed for the Vick dogs.

And if you are still considering writing that check, read the following
quotes from Wayne Pacelle, president of HSUS

?I don?t have a hands-on fondness for animals?To this day I don?t feel
bonded to any non-human animal. I like them and I pet them and I?m kind to
them,
but there?s no special bond between me and other animals.? quoted in
Bloodties: Nature, Culture and the Hunt by Ted Kerasote, 1993, p. 251.

"We have no problem with the extinction of domestic animals. They are
creations of human selective breeding." quoted in Animal People, May, 1993

When asked if he envisioned a future without pets: ?If I had my personal
view, perhaps that might take hold. In fact, I don?t want to see another dog or
cat born.? Wayne Pacelle quoted in Bloodties: Nature, Culture and the Hunt by
Ted Kerasote, 1993, p. 266.

============ ========= =========

Where are the millions in contributions they already receive every year? If
you have money to contribute, please send it to your **local** shelter.
Donations received by local shelters do help animals. The money sent to HSUS
does
not.

--
Sharyn