[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Message to Puppy Buyers / e-mail

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 18:19:51 -0500

Kathy <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx> Writes:

Well said girl:)  If whatever the "deal" is doesn't measure up to
someone's expectations, (for instance, if a contract is important,
maybe it would be helpful to agree to the terms ahead of time, BEFORE
sending a check and/or taking possession of a puppy...that's what I've
done in the past, ironed everything out first), then you walk away
from the deal.

No one is holding a gun to your head!

Thank you, Kathy.  I agree.  Before any monies change hands, the
contract should be ironed out and agreed upon by both parties. The
show puppy/dog buyers need to become more proactive instead of being
reactive.  You're absolutely right when you say, "No one is holding a
gun to your head! "

Kathy <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx> Writes:

I wonder today if e-mails don't constitute contracts?  If not, I'll
bet they come close.  I use a  basic contract (NO PROMISES, NO
REPLACEMENTS, NO REFUNDS!) for puppies and a simple "letter of
understanding" or other dog stuff, and although in the past for
letters of understanding I've  used snail mail and I have
countersigned originals, I'll bet an e-mail WOULD be considered
binding.  In my business (insurance) we do everything on-line  now and
e-signatures are binding....I wonder....

Yes, some businesses are accepting e-signatures and do consider them
binding; however, we are still a long way from realizing a "paperless"
society.  In my field of medical and pharmaceutical research, only a
hard copy with a penned signature is acceptable.  When I asked why
e-signatures and online contracts weren't acceptable, I was told that
a "virtual" contract is too easy to alter and that an e-signature is
more easily faked than a penned one;  however, it would be interesting
to hear what the ethics committee and/or board has to say about email
dog/puppy purchase contracts.  Perhaps a question for Evan when he's
feeling better?

Paulette McGuirt