[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Mesenteric root~ torsion in Puppies

  • From: Kathryn Springer <KathrynSpringer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 16:11:17 -0800

I think we have to be careful in discussing this subject as Mesenteric torsion is different that gastric torsion. In gastric the stomach and sometimes the spleen has twisted and in mesenteric it is the mesentaric root that torsions and by the time this is diagnosed it is 90% too late to save the dog. Mesenteric often presents with bloody vomit and diarrhea while I don't think that is the case in gastric at least not in the case of the one dog I had in the 80s that had gastric torsion at age 8 or 10 and lived to be 12+. Gastric torsion has a much higher survival rate if caught in time.

I had always heard that Scorpio progeny tended to have gastric torsion.

Just want to make sure in discussing this important topic that we are talking about the same type of torsion, both of which are terrible for sure.

Kay Springer

On Feb 9, 2016, at 3:24 PM, (Redacted sender "ELG440" for DMARC) wrote:

We had two Scorpio sons who torsioned. One of them I was in the operating room while the Vet did the surgery, and I held the intestines in my arms as he straightened them out. He claimed the root was too long and that is what caused it.

I don't have any knowledge, but am only repeating what I was told, what I have heard, and what I saw.

Evan

In a message dated 2/9/2016 11:27:08 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
then it has been 'stretched' by the torsion. Makes it difficult to know if it was too loose beforehand so as

to allow the gut to swing and flip.....or the torsion caused the excess length and looseness?