[ SHOWGSD-L ] Membership/show entry decline

  • From: Denise Williams <denwil2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 16:30:21 -0700 (PDT)

I've read a lot of emails about membership declining, or show entries
declining. Some blame is on bad gsd press, gsd/ bsl, among other things.  There
was a post about why newbies are leaving, but it turned into a "can't take the
heat, get out of the kitchen" conversation. While that's true enough, that's
not very conforting to a newbie.
At any rate, I would like some straight answers as to why people this is the
case (declining show entries).  As a newbie (technically, that is, since I've
been secretly watching you guys for three years) I have a few suggestions of my
own. If you please, tear apart mine or offer your own.

1. Newbies were told in class that gsd's are professionally handled, and they'd
get no where without hiring one.

2. So many different judges have different likes/dislikes, that they can't be
successful trying to show just one dog. they need several. Unfortunately, there
are dog limits in many places, you can only have 2 dogs.

3. Dog showing gets dangerously expensive and that makes average with modest
incomes drop out  (many people think you have to be rich to show).

4. They don't have a good enough dog because breeders won't give good dogs to
newbies, so newbies fail with their pet, and get discouraged.

5. Newbies feel that show folks are snobbs (which I have found is so untrue,
but some newbies feel inferior as it is, so they don't talk to exhibitors, and
they never know what their like).

6. Newbies can't find mentors.

Denise and Chase (the conformation crash test dummy)

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for
today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.