[ SHOWGSD-L ] Membership By-law Changes

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gsd list" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 21:18:04 -0700

Dave..
    .I beg to differ.  Hunte was allowed in because the Code of Ethics
didn't provide a way to keep him out.  Where in these By-Law changes and the
revised C of E do you see that changed?   What finally got Hunte out was
that the meeting at which his application was accepted was called
incorrectly
(not in accord with the By-Laws, the P&P, or RONR.  All the wheeling and
dealing done after that was done in fear of reprisal...and some people are
STILL afraid of that reprisal.
     The Board refused to consider the hundreds of email objections because
they were by email...not by snail mail as required in the P&P -- THAT is
something
that needs to be corrected and brought into modern times.   The Board
steadfastly refuses to move into the 21st Century and acknowledge
 the existence of email as a legitimate method of correspondence.  In this
regard, I can't point the finger at THIS specific Board,
since I believe the resistance to email has been around a while.

          So - I vote we put Evan's suggestion, or something very similar,
into the Code of Ethics...that ought to take care of the Breeders' Code,
too.
Peggy

I don't think we differ at all Peggy.....
We presume that we need something in the code by which we can keep people
out. So, as one post stated, if that makes us feel like we have permission
to refuse membership, then so be it - and then put it in.

The fact is, there is adequate precedent in court decisions and general club
practice to conclude we can vote no because we want to vote no and do not
have to give a reason. It appears to me that we let him in because we did
not know or believe that we could refuse membership.

If however, we need to give ourselves written permission to do what we can
do anyway, then that is not a bad thing.
I do write notes to myself at my age!
Dave