[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Members have responsibilities too

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 16:52:48 EDT

Membership is not only about rights  and benefits, but also about
responsibilities.

How dare anyone say that is ok to  ask questions about hair dryers, but not
ok to ask questions about the business  or our club.  OUR club.

I have absolutely nothing against  Susan Casey.  I have dealt with her,
briefly, as the interim editor and she  has been prompt and helpful in her
dealings
 with me.  If she can get  the club to work out a deal that is beneficial to
her, more power to her!!   That speaks highly of her negotiating skills.  I
wish her the very best, in  our club or anywhere else.

I have it in good faith that other  applicants were NOT aware of the part of
the P&P that says the Review Editor  can't show, handle, steward or judge.
That needed to be disclosed to the  applicants.  I think not doing that was a
mistake.

My questions have to deal with the  lack of communication and lack of
business sense that I feel are being displayed  while handling the business
part of
our club.  Yes, this is a  hobby,  and yes these are all volunteers.  That
doesn't take away from the fact  that they are running a business.  If someone
feels they can't handle it,  they can always step down. There is no shame in
that.

In all fairness, the mishandling is  not new.  But I guess we are more aware
now.
In reading the P&P last nite,  and the Bylaws, and I am amazed at the things
I am learning.  Things that  are being done in violation.  Deadlines being
ignored.

Is anyone purposefully doing this, maliciously?  I don't want to  believe
that, I think is more out of lack of awareness and because its been done  in a
certain way for too long.  And the new people just assumed that's the  way it
is.

NO, this is NOT an attack on  anyone.  Not on Susan, not on Gail, not on Lew
(last I checked presidents  do not get to vote) not on anyone.  If anything ,
the membership is at  fault for not following THEIR business more closely.
Believe me, I know  about personal attacks.  I am dealing with that right now.
People  will gladly tear you apart when you take a stand.  But they are
missing an  important, little thing:  Facts.  You can't prove a negative, you
can't
prove a lie.

Now  I know some of you are  going to tell me that you don't have the time to
do that. That's ok.  But  please, don't get on MY case because I MADE time to
look into the workings of  OUR club.  I am not asking for a medal,  that's
not my  motivation.  So save your bitching for someone else.

I think the P&P needs to be  studied and redone. With the best interest of
the club, the breed and the  members at heart.  I hear the new board is working
towards that goal.   Kudos.   I think the board also needs to take a closer
look at the  bylaws and deal with any issue that may present a negative impact.

There  are some.  I have volunteered in the past, and I do it again.

If you are not going to take the  time to get involved, save the time you are
taking to complain. You can't change  things by just wishing them, you have
to actually DO  something.

I am proud to call people on the  old board and the new board friends.  I had
a few conversations last nite  and this morning with board members.  They
were open, interested and  candid.

What more can you ask  for?  Two things:  Accountability and results.

A good start would be agendas,  minutes and reports, ahead of the board
meetings, giving every board member time  to read them and vote knowing all the
information available.  Giving board  members the knowledge they need to work.

Bottom line, maybe  mistakes were made (duh!). Lets recognize that,  and make
the corrections necessary, and lets move on.

How about  we quit the blaming  game, leave the egos out of the table and
deal with OUR club in a professional  and sensible way.

That, at least, is MY  goal.

Ileana
Chance favors the prepared  mind