[ SHOWGSD-L ] Megaesphagus

  • From: genoaktortoise@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (german shepherd)
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 21:43:05 +0000

Megaesphagus is very genetic in the GSD. When my Nichole started to eat solid
food she would eat like the rest of the pups but would start to cry and go into
the corner and throw everything right back up. It was megaesphagus. The vet
wanted to put her down. She was six weeks old. We did not. We took her home and
fed her five or six small meals a day and then would hold her upright for
fifteen minutes so that the food would go down.I am not exactly sure why but
she has not thrown up since she was twelve weeks old She is 7-1/2 now. She eats
from her elevated doggie diner. The one thing that you have to be aware of with
megaesphagus it that dogs affected by it are highly succeseptible to inhalation
pnemonia.  I would not trade my time with Nichole for all the money in the
world but I honestly do not think that I would put another puppy through that.
It is very hard for them. Then on top of everything else Nichole also has
E.P.I. She certainly is a survivor and my best friend. I
 am sho
wing her in Veterans this weekend. She goes with me to all the dog shows but
usually only gets to watch!

Amy Greenhut
Justrock German Shepherds
Gen Oak Leopard Tortoises,  Tortoise Rescue