[ SHOWGSD-L ] Megaesophagus

  • From: " Oak Smith" <osmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showdog" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:17:18 -0600

The major problem for our breed is juvenile idiopathic (unknown cause)
megaesophagus. It usually shows symptoms between 2 and 8 weeks of age (if
symptoms are apparent). Adult onset mega seems to be associated with several
debilitating conditions such as systemic lupus which usually develop later
in life. I've never read anything specific as to an age after which the
juvenile form won't appear, but the vets I've spoken to believe it will show
on a barium x-ray at 8 weeks.
My assumption is that if a pup's x-ray shows a normal esophagus at 8 weeks,
it will not develop the juvenile form of the condition.Has anyone ever had a
pup show normal at 8 weeks and develop it later?

Most pups improve over time if they can get past the weaning - 8 weeks age.
As many people on the list have said, most can lead pretty normal lives with
no shortening of life expectancy. Aspiration pneumonia is the major health
risk. There are varying degrees of severity, with some dogs never
regurgitating. The obvious risk for all of us is breeding an affected dog
without realizing it...Testing all pups is expensive, but certainly should
be done if even one pup is suspect, and all breeding stock should be tested.
Even if no affected dog is allowed to reproduce, however, we will still have
the problem until we can better understand how it is passed on, and we're
able to identify carriers.

Interestingly, I know of a pup who was diagnosed at 10 weeks by a
radiologist with a mild case. (The pup was tested because others in the
litter had the condition.)The radiologist did additional radiographs at 6
months and saw no signs of the condition.

Carrie
Oak Ridge German Shepherds
Dedicated to the German Shepherd Dog
Signers of the GSDCA Breeders Code of Ethics.