[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Meet the Breed at the regional shows?

  • From: "Beryl" <arelee_1020@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx>, <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 11:48:04 -0800

While I agree with the need that clubs should offer education whenever
possible, doing so at ringside isn't  always the best situation.
Often the clubs who put on the shows have a limited number of members, and
those members who are there often are wearing more than one hat.
Ideally it would be nice if clubs who had a large enough membership
available had several people that could "man" an information table. They
would not have the distraction that ring steward often has. Rotating time at
the info table among several members, could work. You could have a copy of
the GSD standard, Reviews, photo's etc.
I feel it would need to be a person with both patience and understanding and
with the ability to focus on the people who are asking the questions, not
being sidetracked by what is going on in the ring, or needing to give out
arm bands, getting the ribbons and awards to the judge in a timely manner,
etc.
Often when I am stewarding people will come up to ask questions at the most
inopportune time. I usually tell them I would be happy to answer your
question's in a few minutes once this class is in the ring, or whatever you
need to be doing as a steward at that moment.
New people who are just observing do not understand that there are certain
demands of those people who are helping out. One cannot very well keep up
with the question and answer thing while the judge may be waiting for the
trophies and ribbons, judges book etc.
When I think back to my first dog show,(many years ago) I remember how
overwhelmed I was with everything that was going on. We had wandered over
from the obedience ring and seeing conformation was a whole new thing that
we did not understand at that time.

Beryl Eshom
Arelee
Davis, CA