[ SHOWGSD-L ] Medusa scares her mom!

  • From: "Medusas Mom" <medusasmom1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:26:37 -0700

I had the scare of my life yesterday! Iwas on the way to get a haircut,Duce
was in the passenger seat as always.She had been favoring her right eye and
squinting for a few days and i had put drops in it.Suddenly the light caught
it just right and to my horror,I see she has jelly pouring out of her
eyeball.Bumblebee was busy tending it for her.I turned around an
quickly headed to the opth. vet.He was in surgery and they tried to get me
an appt on Friday.I kinda blew up and told them id wait.The kind Dr,came
in,put stain in her eye and said he would be back in 5 mins.The stain showed
a hole poked in her eye.I have no idea how it happened.He touched her
eyeball with a swab and the entire surface came off.He said she needed
surgery right then to save her eye.I asked how much(like it mattered
right!)He said about $500.I told him lets go! He started to take her in the
back,but I told him she never left me!He saw how upset we both got when
separated and agreed that I would stay with her.He asked if I would be ok
with surgery?Those who know how close Duce and I are know I cant watch
anything be done to her. I also have this thing about anything with
eyeballs.I told him I wouldn't look or id be out cold.He gave her some happy
juice and numbed her eye..She lay in my lap,slumped over while he closed the
hole and burned it shut.Then he had to rough up her eyeball surface to cause
scarring so the covering over her iris and cornea had a surface to adhere
to.I could hear the laser burning into her eye and almost passed out.He was
through in about 15 mins.When she woke up, she was pissed! She had a big ole
E collar on and hated it.She is so embarrassed for dogs to see her with it
on.Shes on 3 different drops 4 times a day for 3 weeks,but he thinks I
caught it in time..thank goodness! Thanks to some of Medusa's friends who
generously helped out in this crisis,The Goddess should be pain free and
have her sight back soon! We love all our friends to pieces!Ive attached her
picture just out of surgery.The Dr said Medusa will enjoy the extra
attention.lol,He has no idea does he!She couldn't get any more attention!
All her friends know that already! Its ALL about Duce!She gets her pain
drops(1 for surface pain and 1 for internal eye pain and 1 antibiotic)hourly
for 24 hrs then 4 times daily..About 45 mins after her numbing drops,I think
it starts hurting her and she knows I have what stops her pain.,She begins
my education in Medusa speak by staring deep into my eyes,
hyperventilating,pawing my arm and stepping on my laptop and looking at the
eye drop bottles..She actually knows that they help her and that she can
make me give them to her.Its gonna be a very looonnnng 3 weeks! We need to
get an OK from the vet for her to fly before she returns to Las Vegas!We had
a nice long chat about Pannus and a couple other genetic eye problems he is
seeing in Shepherds lately.I learned pannus ALWAYS starts at the bottom
outside edge of the eye.A first sign of it is a developing black pigment
line in the bottom outside edge skin of the inner surface of the
eye.Ilearned that in all eye trauma the blood vessels took 48hours to
move 1/8th
of a millimeter.So depending how far the blood vessels have
spread,determines the age of the injury.He said terramycin stings badly upon
use in the conjunctive sack.I always thought it would feel good to them on
an irritated eye.
Please go take a look at Medusa's new Vegas pictures and her Eye boo boo
pics as well! Happy Earth Day on Sunday everyone!
http://www.myspace.com/thegoddessmedusa

Medusasmom & her convalescing Goddess
Tami